9 Amy Poehler Quotes That Prove She's The Perfect Choice For Joy In 'Inside Out'
Wouldn't it be wonderful if Amy Poehler was the voice of joy inside of everyone's heads? For the little girl at the center of Pixar's latest film Inside Out , Amy Poehler is just that — and Pixar could not have picked a better actress for the role. Between Parks and Recreation, her empowering Smart Girls web series and site, her bestseller Yes Please, and her general positive nature, Poehler has always spread happiness through her actions and wise words. Sometimes it feels like the actress is joy personified, so seeing this actually happen on the big screen is amazing.
Before you hit the theaters to hear Poehler's sure to be amazing voiceover work, take a look back at some of her most joyful and inspiring quotes. Just because her voice cannot literally be inside your head, does not mean it can't figuratively be there. Over the years, the comedian has dropped some serious knowledge on the subjects of finding and sustaining happiness. Joy doesn't always come easy, but even in the darkest of times it is helpful to remember there is still good in your life, and Poehler specializes in urging people to find their own inner joy.
1. "The earlier you learn that you should focus on what you have, and not obsess about what you don't have, the happier you will be." — Glamour
I know I am perpetually guilty of thinking about the things I haven't achieved, so Poehler makes an excellent point. Focusing on the good things you have is a much better way to live your life.
2. "When in doubt, make funny faces." — The Daily Beast
This is one of Poehler's five rules of successful parenting, but really it works in any situation. There is nothing like standing in front of a mirror and making the silliest face possible to brighten your day.
3. "You deserve love and you'll get it." — Smart Girls
One of the most damaging ideas a person can accept is the idea that they are somehow undeserving of love. Love comes in a lot of forms — romantic, familial, platonic — and Poehler knows you deserve them all and you will get them.
4. "Ignore what other people think. Most people aren’t even paying attention to you." — Yes Please
The purest form of joy comes from doing your own thing and learning to let go of the negativity of others.
5. "There's power in looking silly and not caring that you do." — Yes Please
Poehler is a big supporter of being herself, and that means embracing silliness — public silliness. It may strike fear in your heart, but being silly is just another way of being happy.
6. "Vulnerability is the key to happiness." — Smart Girls
Vulnerability is terrifying, but Poehler knows exactly what she is talking about when she says it's the only way to find happiness. Here's the thing about vulnerability, it means you are letting someone truly see you, and once people see you, you can find a kind of joy you never imagined. How awesome is that?
7. "You become more attractive when you love yourself. You attract the right things when you have a sense of who you are." — Smart Girls
Poehler is basically a joy Yoda, right?
8. "It's easier to be brave when you're not alone." — Yes Please
Poehler's friendship with Tina Fey inspires pretty much everyone. I think that's why I love this quote so much. Being brave and being happy go hand in hand as far as I'm concerned, and finding your squad or your best friend in life to hold you up in those moments is so important.
9. "Anybody who doesn't make you feel good, kick them to the curb. And the earlier you start in your life, the better." — Harvard Commencement Speech
The ultimate joy mic drop.
Feeling a little more joyful now? Poehler just seems to have that effect on people.
Images: Giphy (9)