9 Kristen Stewart Quotes That Prove Speculation About Her Sexuality Is Exactly What She Doesn't Want — UPDATE
Ever since that interview where Kristen Stewart's mom, Jules Stewart, supposedly spoke about her daughter's alleged lesbian relationship, the world has been all aflutter. Everyone's been giving their opinion on the situation, with people congratulating themselves on correct predictions from years ago, flashing around photos of Stewart and her rumored girlfriend/personal assistant Alicia Cargile together, and congratulating Jules on being so open and accepting of her daughter's choices. Somewhat ironically, when speaking with Us Weekly Jules denied she ever spoke about her daughter during her interview with The Sunday Mirror, but that hasn't stopped any of the wild speculation. In fact, the only person who really hasn't spoken up is Kristen Stewart herself, which is something we should probably be paying more attention to.
(Update, June 16: Mirror reporter Sharon Feinstein shared a statement on her blog, saying, in part, "I am aware that Ms Jules Stewart has stated that her interview with me has been used out of context, that she never discussed her daughter or her daughter’s relationship. That is simply incorrect.")
I'll say this — I'm the first person to celebrate a celebrity who decides to reveal their sexual orientation to the public, because I think it shows a level of comfort that warms my heart to see. But the thing we have to remember is that Stewart didn't choose to reveal any of this, and she probably never would. Over the years, one of the most consistent things she's said in her interviews is that her personal life is private. Even when the entire world thinks they know whom she's dating, she refuses to confirm it, let alone answer questions about the relationship or give any details.
The 25-year-old has made statements emphasizing the importance of her privacy so many times that when you see all her comments on it in one place, it'll hopefully encourage you to cool it with the speculation a bit. The nine quotes below prove that us speculating about her personal life is Stewart's worst nightmare. Take a look.
1. "I don't talk to anybody about my personal life, and maybe that perpetuates it, too. But it's really important to own what you want to own and keep it to yourself." — Interview
2. "I would never cheapen my relationships by talking about them." — Elle
3. "Being a public figure, I'm supposed to present myself in a certain way, but it's hard and you're never going to be able to tell people who you are through the media." — The Telegraph
4. "There's an idea about who I am that's eternally projected onto me, and then I almost feel like I have to fulfill that role. Even when things come out of my mouth, I want to be sure I'm saying exactly what I mean." — Interview
5. "I'm glad I'm not one of those actresses who is just so ready to open up for everyone." — British GQ
6. "I wouldn't tell you anything about anybody I cared about because it becomes entertainment for other people, and it sort of just cheapens everything in your life. I would never tell you if I was dating anybody." — The Telegraph
7. "People say, 'Just say who you're dating. Then people will stop being so ravenous about it.' It's like, No they won't! They'll ask for specifics." — Elle
8. "I like to keep whatever is mine remaining that way. It's a funny little game to play and it's a slippery slope. I always say to myself I'm never going to give anything away because there's never any point or benefit for me." — British GQ
9. "I also have that desire to blurt stuff out, but I've learned I can't do that. Not when you realize the whole world is listening." — The Telegraph
OK, class, so what have we learned here today? Maybe something about celebrities being people, too, and entitled to their privacy no matter how great our intentions. Even if all we want to do is clap Kristen Stewart on the back and dance around with her in the street in congratulations, she's made it abundantly clear that she's not into that, and it has nothing to do with whether she's gay or straight or somewhere in between. It has to do with the fact that she's a private person, and she really doesn't owe us a damn thing.
Images: Giphy (9)