Collected below are 15 Father's Day quotes just in time for this Sunday — the ultimate day of dads. Whether you want to recite one to your father, write one in that awesome card you got him, or simply meditate on them by yourself, take a five minute break right now to read through these beauties. Trust me, they're worth your time.
Being a father is kind of crazy when you think about it. I mean, you're basically responsible for a human life... at least for 18 years (but really, even more). That's mostly insane. Dads really do deserve to know how special they are, and on the flip side of that, it's always touching to hear men speak of their own experiences of fatherhood. A lot of thought goes into being a dad, but at the root of it all, it's amazingly primal and beautiful.
Strap on your seat belts, my friends, because you're about to go on a wildly emotional roller coaster ride. I've got goodies from men that range from Robert Frost to Sammy Davis, Jr. If there's one thing everyone has in common, it's understanding the love of a great father. Go ahead, read through these 15 quotations without your eyes watering up... I dare you.
1. "My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person, he believed in me." — Jim Valvano
2. “One father is more than a hundred schoolmasters." — George Herbert
3. “I've said it before, but it's absolutely true: My mother gave me my drive, but my father gave me my dreams. Thanks to him, I could see a future." — Liza Minnelli
4. “Until you have a son of your own... you will never know the joy, the love beyond feeling that resonates in the heart of a father as he looks upon his son." — Kent Nerburn
5. "Without my dad, I wouldn't be here." — Maria Sharapova
6. "You don't have to deserve your mother's love. You have to deserve your father's." — Robert Frost
7. "To a father growing old nothing is dearer than a daughter." — Euripides
8. "I think my mom put it best. She said, 'Little girls soften their daddy's hearts.'" — Paul Walker
9. "Anyone can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a dad, and that's why I call you dad, because you are so special to me. You taught me the game, and you taught me how to play it right." — Wade Boggs
10. "The most important thing in the world is family and love." — John Wooden
11. "This is the price you pay for having a great father. You get the wonder, the joy, the tender moments — and you get the tears at the end, too." — Harlan Coben
12. "It doesn't matter who my father was; it matters who I remember he was." — Anne Sexton
13. "When it comes to Father's Day, I will remember my dad for both being there to nurture me and also for the times he gave me on my own to cultivate my own interests and to nurture my own spirit." — Jennifer Grant
14. "I wasn't anything special as a father. But I loved them and they knew it." — Sammy Davis, Jr.
15. "Dad taught me everything I know. Unfortunately, he didn't teach me everything he knows." — Al Unser
Images: Helga Weber/Flickr, Giphy (5)