Happy Birthday, Lana Del Rey! 9 Lyrics That Prove She's The Master of Cool
It's not their fault: some people are just born cooler than others, forever bearing the burden of effortless perfection too heavy for the common masses. Lana Del Rey is one such individual, blessed with the cool kid vibe reminiscent of every popular girl from high school. Actually, there's substantial evidence to suggest that Lana Del Rey isn't actually an endlessly sad and painfully beautiful hipster girl with giant retro hair, but rather like the coolest teenager ever. She smokes cigarettes, drinks beer, and has a boyfriend with a fast car who's also in a band, all standards by which cool teenagers are measured by other less cool teenagers. It's all right there in many of Del Rey's most memorable lyrics, the definitive proof that she's the cool kid who would ask to cheat off your chemistry test and you'd let her because I hear her boyfriend has a motorcycle and she's just SO COOL.
Fresh off of her Endless Summer Tour, with a new album Honeymoon coming soon, and celebrating her 30th birthday on Sunday, Lana Del Rey is cruising at peak levels of chillness. Del Rey's summertime sadness never expires, nor does her perennial hipness ever depreciate, and her upcoming music appears to be the most Lana Del Rey creation she's ever released. In honor of the birth of Lana Del Rey, Master of Cool and Ageless Cool Kid, here are the lyrics that proof her coolness is forever.
1. "I'm feelin' electric tonight/ Cruising down the coast goin' 'bout 99" - "Summertime Sadness"
Beach cruising is cool. So are seat belts.
2. "Come and take a walk on the wild side/ Let me kiss you hard in the pouring rain" - "Born To Die"
Rain kissing: so hot right now.
3. "Lay me down tonight in my diamonds and pearls" - "F***ed My Way To The Top"
Sleeping in piles of high end jewelry earns maximum cool points.
4. "Down on the West Coast they got a sayin'/ 'If you're not drinkin' then you're not playin''" - "West Coast"
Come on. Everyone's doing it.
5. "Well, my boyfriend's in a band/ He plays guitar while I sing Lou Reed" - "Brooklyn Baby"
Boyfriend in a band who doesn't follow the speed limit. Shameless outdoor kissing. She qualifies in all categories of Cool Girl From High School.
6. "My baby lives in shades of blue/ Blue eyes and jazz and attitude/ He lives in California too/ He drives a Chevy Malibu" - "Shades of Cool"
AND he has his own car?? *collective teenage swoon*
7. "Open up a beer/ And you say, 'Get over here and play a video game.'" - "Video Games"
Spending an entire day drinking beer and playing video games = the definition of a chill sitch.
8. "My p***y taste like Pepsi-Cola" - "Cola (P***y)"
9. "We could go back to Woodstock/ Where they don't know who we are" - "Ultraviolence"
Lana Del Rey can travel backwards in time?? WHAT?! SO COOL. Happy birthday to the chillest girl around, and keep being your super-cool self.
Images: Giphy (9)