Love is love is love. Whether a man loves a woman, a woman loves a woman, or a man loves a man, it really makes no difference. These 20 love quotes in celebration of gay marriage are proof that true love will always prevail, and that's an encouraging thing to hear, especially now that the Supreme Court has ruled gay marriage a constitutional right.
We've come a long way in the past few decades, but we certainly have a long way to go when it comes to gay and lesbian rights in America. Everyone deserves to live the life they want to live, and even more importantly, love the person they want to love.
Legalizing same sex marriage has the possibility to make a world of change for so many members of the LGBT community. From tax benefits to the ability to adopt to hospital visitation rights, every couple should have these benefits. You don't choose who you love — and more than anything else, no one should be able to tell you who you can and cannot love.
The good news is, love will always come out on top, so take a read through these comforting and inspiring quotes to celebrate this landmark SCOTUS ruling.
1. "Love isn't something you find. Love is something that finds you." — Loretta Young
2. "Love is friendship that has caught fire. It is quiet understanding, mutual confidence, sharing and forgiving. It is loyalty through good and bad times. It settles for less than perfection and makes allowances for human weaknesses." — Ann Landers
3. "Where there is love there is life." — Mahatma Gandhi
4. "Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." — H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
5. "The best thing to hold onto in life is each other." — Audrey Hepburn
6. "A flower cannot blossom without sunshine, and man cannot live without love." — Max Muller
7. "Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead." — Oscar Wilde
8. "Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies." — Aristotle
9. "Love is like a friendship caught on fire. In the beginning a flame, very pretty, often hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. As love grows older, our hearts mature and our love becomes as coals, deep-burning and unquenchable." — Bruce Lee
10. "We loved with a love that was more than love." — Edgar Allan Poe
11. "The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire." — Ferdinand Foch
12. "We are born of love; Love is our mother." — Remi
13. "Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." — Dalai Lama
14. "Passion is momentary; love is enduring." — John Wooden
15. "Love is when he gives you a piece of your soul, that you never knew was missing." — Torquato Tasso
16. "Love has no age, no limit; and no death." — John Galsworthy
17. "Love is a force more formidable than any other. It is invisible — it cannot be seen or measured, yet it is powerful enough to transform you in a moment, and offer you more joy than any material possession could." — Barbara de Angelis
18. "Love is the best thing in the world, and the thing that lives the longest." — Henry Van Dyke
19. "True love is eternal, infinite, and always like itself. It is equal and pure, without violent demonstrations: it is seen with white hairs and is always young in the heart." — Honore de Balzac
20. "Love knows not distance; it hath no continent; its eyes are for the stars." — Gilbert Parker
Images: Susana Fernandez, Sam Liang, Purple Sherbert Photography, Ray, torbakhopper/Flickr; Giphy (3)