15 Times Liane Moriarty’s Books Perfectly Captured Adult Life
I’m not one for public displays of emotion. So, when I say that every single Liane Moriarty novel ever written has at some point had me visibly crying tears of joy, laughing hysterically, or even gasping in shock in public places, I mean it. Her books are brilliant: they're not just about romance, mystery, or overly drenched in sentimentality, but instead string together pieces of the human existence. If I were to put her books into a single category it would be this: life. Bam. Done.
Now I know what you’re thinking: "life" isn’t a category of book. Well, it should be. Moriarty's stories are so beautifully interspersed with tales and themes from every genre of book that it’s too hard to put them in a box — even if the description box at every online vendor says differently. You want murder mystery? Try a copy of Big Little Lies or The Husband's Secret. You want romantic comedy with a hint of thrill? Read The Hypnotist's Love Story . Are you feeling a little bit nostalgic for an ex-lover? Don’t. He wasn’t worth it. I’m kidding, but you get the point.
The number of times I have read a line in her book and thought to myself, that is literally my life in a nutshell is remarkable. At its best, adult life can bring some of the greatest joy imaginable, and at its worst it can basically feel like The Hunger Games on steroids. These quotes will have you laughing and wondering why you ever thought it was a good idea to grow up.
1. "You’ve been here before. It won’t kill you. It feels like you can’t breathe, but you actually are breathing. It feels like you’ll never stop crying, but you actually will.” — The Husband's Secret
It may hurt now, but eventually the sun will shine again. I think there is no greater lesson to be learned than to never give up hope for a better tomorrow.
2. “But maybe every life looked wonderful if all you saw was the photo albums.” — What Alice Forgot
Truer words have never been spoken. Social media can become the death of happiness if you let it. The key to adulthood: Don't let it!
3. “Champagne is never a mistake.” —Big Little Lies
Does this even need explanation? Even the hardest of workdays can be cured by a glass of champagne.
4. “None of us ever know all the possible courses our lives could have, and maybe should have taken.” —The Husband's Secret
If you have been an alive for more than a minute, you know that life doesn't always go as planned. This can be one of the scariest parts of being an adult... until you read the next quote.
5. “But Grace quite likes the fact that you can think something is one way all your life, and it turns out you’re wrong, it can be something else entirely. It makes her feel free. Nothing is rigid. Things change. You can change your mind. You can change your thinking.” — The Last Anniversary
What a relief it is to know that you can always change your mind! It can sometimes feel like our circumstances are beyond repair, but we are never too far from pursuing another dream and starting again.
6. “Maybe it wasn’t that hard to be happy.” — Three Wishes
What a novel idea! In the middle of her beautiful prose and complex themes, she finds a way to provide wisdom in the simplest ideas. How life changing would it be if we all came to terms with the fact that maybe it's not that hard to be happy after all. If all else fails, listen to Yoncé !
7 “The suffragettes didn't starve themselves for the vote, so that you girls could starve yourselves for a man." —The Hypnotist's Love Story
Your first thought was to think of "that one friend" who this applies to. Maybe, just maybe, we all need to heed this advice ourselves. We are never too old to do the dumbest stuff for a partner, and we can never have too many reminders to stop crying over jerks.
8. “I’m the only one left holding a grudge. They say it’s good to let your grudges go, but I don’t know, I’m quite fond of my grudge. I tend it like a little pet.” —Big Little Lies
Remember when you thought drama and petty grudges ended after high school? Well, think again. If anything, it becomes more prevalent since we become well versed in the ways of annoying those around us, not to mention, making sure they never forget the ways they have wronged us. I'm not saying holding grudges is good, but darn it if it's not sometimes fun!
9. “He was a selfish, pompous, egocentric, nasty man. She did not want to be married to him, but she did not want him to marry someone else. She did not want him, but she wanted him to want her.” —The Hypnotist's Love Story
Half the people we date fall into this category. You don't really want him or her, but you don't want that person to live without you. I know it's an age old story, but c'mon, maybe it's time to start a new chapter.
10. “Now she understood. She could happily murder someone today! In fact, she felt like there should be some sort of recognition for her remarkable strength of character that she didn’t.” —Big Little Lies
Yes, please! The spectrum of idiocy you encounter on a regular basis can be maddening. From the strange co-worker, to the bitter cashier at the grocery store, the amount of times I have almost physically assaulted a complete stranger is worthy of an Oscar.
11. “Falling in love was easy, anyone could fall. It was holding on that was tricky” —The Husband's Secret
Someone please cue "Blank Space" by Taylor swift. Because you can consult Taylor Swift's long list of ex-lovers to prove the accuracy of this point.
12. "Sometimes you had to be brave enough to point your life in a new direction.” —What Alice Forgot
Be brave. Be fearless. Take the step into the great unknown, and never wonder what if. That is truly what adulthood feels like, not being afraid to go on the next adventure. Just ask Zayn! Too soon?
13. “The bills would keep on coming, no matter what else was happening in your life and that was good because it gave you a purpose. You worked so you could pay them. You rested on the weekends and generated more bills. Then you went back to work to pay for them. That was the reason for getting up tomorrow. That was the meaning of life.” —Three Wishes
OK, so maybe this one is a tad bit melodramatic, but damn it if being an adult doesn't feel like this sometimes! However, when it does, we have the next quote to give us hope!
14. “Those we love don’t go away, they sit beside us every day.” —Big Little Lies
In our early 20s, it seems nearly impossible to keep in contact with friends. From moving to different states and being extremely busy getting our careers off the ground, adding deep meaningful relationships in the mix seems rather insane. However, you have probably also learned by now, that those friends who truly care will always be around.
15. "Sometimes a girl has to stop waiting around and come up with her own fairytale ending.” —The Last Anniversary
Thank you for this, Liane. Because we all need the reminder to stop waiting and start living!
Images: Giphy (15)