If you're feeling sappy (or bitter) around Valentine's Day, you're not alone— just look at the many Valentine's Day quotes out there to suit every single attitude. Because let's be honest, it can be an incendiary holiday — it may fill you with the fire of love or a simmering annoyance, but very few people are indifferent to Valentine's Day.
And it doesn't just have to do with whether you're in a relationship or not. I know people in couples who hate the holiday and single people who adore it. "I believe that a celebration of love is a wonderful thing, and you can channel your excitement for Valentine's Day into appreciating all the things you love," Rob Alex, who created Sexy Challenges and Mission Date Night with his wife, tells Bustle. That can totally be other kinds of love than romantic. It can be a time to celebrate the love that you have with your friends and family, it can mean a romantic date with your partner, or it can mean a fun and carefree random hookup. I'm not going to tell you how to live your life.
So here are Valentine's Day quotes worthy of sharing, because no matter what your attitude is, there's some poetry to go with it:
1. "The minute I heard my first love story, I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was. Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along." — Rumi
2. "Kisses are a better fate than wisdom." — e.e. cummings
3. "There's a long life ahead of you and it's going to be beautiful, as long as you keep loving and hugging each other." — Yoko Ono
4. "We are most alive when we're in love." — John Updike
5. "Soul meets soul on lovers' lips."— Percy Bysshe Shelley Read
6. "Look, there's no metaphysics on earth like chocolates." — Fernando Pessoa
7. “We waste time looking for the perfect lover, instead of creating the perfect love.” ― Tom Robbins
8. “In youth, it was a way I had/To do my best to please. And change, with every passing lad/To suit his theories. But now I know the things I know/And do the things I do, And if you do not like me so/To hell, my love, with you.” ― Dorothy Parker
9. “Anyone who is in love is making love the whole time, even when they're not. When two bodies meet, it is just the cup overflowing. They can stay together for hours, even days. They begin the dance one day and finish it the next, or — such is the pleasure they experience — they may never finish it. No eleven minutes for them.” ― Paulo Coelho
11. “Sex without love is a meaningless experience, but as far as meaningless experiences go its pretty damn good.” ― Woody Allen
12. "I like perfume and flowers." — Donatella Versace
13. "I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once." — John Green
This is just the tip of the iceberg. No matter how you're feeling, you can find someone who shared your sentiments. Bring on Valentine's Day.