As far as years go, 2016 didn't exactly win any popularity contests. For many people, it was one of those years that left you feeling somewhat defeated. But, hey, we've got a clean slate now, right? Maybe it's time to share some empowering quotes on social media to set the tone for 2017. After all, no one wants a repeat of last year — so if tweeting and posting the uplifting words of others can help make this year a vast improvement, I'm all in.
Quotes, like music, have an innate ability to move you — they're surprisingly powerful for simply being an amalgamation of words on a page. Whether those words call you to action or encourage you to think, though, quotes are undoubtedly affecting. And they seem even more so at the start of a brand new year, don't they? Everything feels magnified and more potent when you're staring down 365 days of indeterminate nature. At this point, the year is a blank page, and quotes feel like the prologue. Naturally, you want them to steer the year in the right direction.
If you're searching for some ideal words to start 2017 off on the right foot, try on these empowering quotes for size.
1. "Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail."
2. "I can, and I will." — Gina Rodriguez
3. "Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
4. "There is always room in your life for thinking bigger, pushing limits, and imagining the impossible."
5. "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy sh*t, what a ride!'"
6. "The indispensable first step to getting the things you want out of life is this: Decide what you want."
7. "Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." — Anais Nin
8. "You're off to great places; today is your day. Your mountain is waiting, so get on your way."
9. "It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."
10. "I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life's a b*tch. You've got to go out and kick *ss."
11. "The question isn't who's going to let me; it's who's going to stop me."
— Ayn Rand
12. "I raise up my voice not so I can shout, but so that those without a voice can be heard. We cannot succeed when half of us are held back."
13. "Courage is like a muscle; we strengthen it by use."
14. "A lot of people are afraid to say what they want. That's why they don't get what they want."
15. "You only live once but, if you do it right, once is enough."
— Mae West