A lot goes into the perfect New Year's Eve: good company, great snacks, the right atmosphere, and an outfit that makes a statement but isn't totally uncomfortable. Get all of those ducks in a row, and a good time should be had by all. Chances are that you'll want to mark the occasion with some social media dispatches that combine the perfect photo with a witty caption — and since you may or may not have indulged in a champagne toast or two by the time you're ready to hit "post," it's probably best that you do a little pre-planning for your 'gram. To that end, here are a few New Year's Eve Instagram captions that are also puns for you to use on the last night of 2017 — and don't worry, they're not the lame kinds of puns.
I know puns aren't everyone's cup of tea, but you've gotta admit that a so-bad-it's-good one liner or certifiably nerdy dad joke is just ripe for caption glory. 2017 was such a dismal year that it's really best if we can just laugh it off, anyway. Any one of these proposed captions can match pretty much any New Year's-related photo you decide to post on Dec. 31, and I can almost guarantee that you won't regret a single one of them when you wake up on Jan. 1 and scroll through your feed. (Plus, they're not that specific, so you can use any of these on any sort of photo you want.) LOL away!
1. I return to work tomorrow with a childlike belief that 2018 is the year people will think at least twice before hitting Reply All.
2. My resolution was to read more, so I put the subtitles on my TV.
3. Gettin' ready for all those "I haven't showered since last year" jokes.
4. I don't call them New Year's resolutions. I prefer the term, "casual promises to myself that I'm under no legal obligation to fulfill."
5. What do you tell someone you didn't see at New Year's Eve? I haven't seen you for a year!
6. New Year, New Meh.
7. What's the problem with jogging on New Year's Eve? The ice falls out of your drinks!
8. I was going to quit all my bad habits for the new year, but then I remembered that nobody likes a quitter.
9. A New Year's resolution is something that goes in one year and out the other.
10. What do you call always having a date for New Year's Eve? Social Security.
11. I'll remember 2017 like it was yesterday.
12. Now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good resolutions. Next week, you can begin paving hell with them as usual.
13. I hope one of your New Year's resolutions is to stop tagging me in New Year's Eve photos.
14. Join me in closing out the latest worst year ever.
15. Tonight, the mayor is dropping the ball while Congress is dropping the ball in Washington.
16. This New Year's, I resolve to be less awesome, since that is really the only thing I do in excess.
17. I'm going to order a pizza five minutes before the new year, and when it arrives, I'll say, "I ordered this a year ago."
18. My New Year's resolution is to break my New Year's resolutions. That way I succeed at something.
19. Here's to pretending that anything changes when the year does.
20. What exactly is a New Year's resolution? It's a to-do list for the first week of January.
21. This year, let's resolve to make better bad decisions.