Ben & Jerry's Free Cone Day For 2017 Is On April 4, So Get Ready For Some Ice Cream-Tastic Fun
Ben & Jerry's started an international trend in 1979 when they gave away ice-cream cones to customers to show their appreciation. This year, Ben & Jerry's Free Cone Day 2017 is on April 4. In the 37 years since they gave away their first cone in a renovated petrol station in Burlington, Vermont, people all over the world look forward to this delicious tradition, so it's certainly a welcome event!
You can get a free cone at Ben & Jerry's from 12 to 8 p.m. April 4 at a number of locations; use this link to find the participating Ben & Jerry's store nearest you. The ice-cream makers tout Free Cone Day as your annual opportunity to throw caution to the wind, and try a new flavor, according to their website. "Don’t worry, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough is a big kid now and will not be offended," they write. "Vanilla, on the other hand, can be a bit of a diva. No worries, though, because if you want to come crawling back to an old favorite, then you can always hop right back in line!"
That's right: As per that last line, you can get more than one free cone on Free Cone Day if you like. All you have to do is get back in line after you're done with your first one and nab yourself a second — and then you can repeat the process as many times as you like.
If you're on the fence about taking advantage of Free Cone Day, Ben & Jerry's wants you to feel good about your decision to eat ice cream so they created this list: "10 Ways You Can Do Good By Eating Free Ice Cream."
If you're curious about this wonderful tradition of giving away ice cream, here's a brief history of Ben & Jerry's Free Cone Day.
- In 1984, Saratoga Springs, New York, becomes the first town outside of Vermont to host a Free Cone Day.
- In 1988, all Ben & Jerry's Vermont Scoop Shops celebrate Free Cone Day June 4, while every out-of-state shop celebrates on June 5.
- In 1993, every Ben & Jerry's Scoop Shop in the United States hands out free cones on the same day.
- In 1998, a London free-cone fan gets so excited by their ice cream that they leave their keys behind. Are they yours? Ben & Jerry's still has them if you want them back.
- In 2000, Ben & Jerry's bring the world together in peace, love, and ice cream with its first truly global Free Cone Day when shops all over the world celebrate together on April 18.
- In 2010, Ben & Jerry's Global Free Cone Day brings even more people together thanks to its iPhone app. For the first time, fans around the world can see and share pictures and tweets from other countries in real time.
- In 2012, an ice cream scandal breaks out in Perth, Australia, as two people are caught trying to cut the line. Ben & Jerry's reported that the situation was diffused when the cutters apologized and high-fived everyone on their walk to the back of the line.
- In 2015, Ben & Jerry's gives away more than a million scoops of ice cream around the world.
Is your mouth watering yet? If so, you can head to Ben & Jerry's on April 4 to get your favorite flavor. Free Cone Day is from 12-8 p.m., just in time to add dessert to your Tuesday lunch routine.