For those of you who didn't know, Groundhog Day always falls on February 2nd, and 2017 is no exception. To help you prepare for the big day, rounded up below are 15 Groundhog Day Quotes for 2017 that talk about everything from the traditions of the day to the winter weather that looms over the beginning of spring.
Groundhog Day follows a simple tradition. The belief is that if the sky is sunny, and the groundhog sees his shadow on the day, he gets scared and runs back into his hole for another six weeks of winter (so in other words, a longer winter). Conversely, if the sky is cloudy, and the groundhog does not see his shadow (and subsequently, does not hide back within his hole), winter will end sooner. Is there any truth to this myth? While a groundhog probably doesn't have any real effect on the winter, there may be some truth to the early February weather and its ability to predict how long the cold front will remain before spring.
Regardless of whether or not you're into the groundhog tradition, you probably want winter to come to an end as quickly as possible. If so, you're rooting for no shadow on February 2nd. Now get your enthusiasm going with these 15 Groundhog Day quotes for 2017.
1. "The groundhog is like most other prophets; it delivers its prediction and then disappears." — Bill Vaughn
2. "The trouble with weather forecasting is that it's right too often for us to ignore it and wrong too often for us to rely on it." — Patrick Young
3. "Though the groundhog and crocus creep into their holes / It's Spring, and the almanac shows it; Though a polar wave over the continent rolls / It's Spring! And we don't care who knows it!" — Robert J. Burdette
4. "To shorten winter, borrow some money due in spring." — W.J. Vogel
5. "Old Groundhog stretched in his leafy bed. He turned over slowly and then he said, 'I wonder if spring is on the way, I'll go and check the weather today...'" — Anonymous
6. "One Swallow maketh not Summer; nor one Woodcock a Winter." — William Camden
7. "To be interested in the changing seasons is a happier state of mind than to be hopelessly in love with spring." — George Santayana
8. "Winter is nature's way of saying, 'Up yours.'" — Robert Byrne
9. "Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you." — Maori Proverb
10. "It's a freakin' holiday entirely based on the power of a psychic rodent. If that isn't the epitome of awesome, I don't know what is." — Flying LlamaFish
11. "Spring is nature's way of saying, 'Let's party!'" — Robin Williams
12. "Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while." — Kin Hubbard
13. "Groundhog Day: Winter's grip's broken, the sun swings north!" — David J. Beard
14. "If Candlemas Day be fair and bright, Winter will have another fight; But if Candlemas Day be clouds and rain, Winter is gone, and will not come again." — Anonymous
15. "Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine." — Anthony J. D'Angelo