Both Mother's Day and Father's Day have passed, but you're not off the hook with sibling holidays yet. Aug. 6 marks National Sisters Day, which is why you might want to bookmark these National Sisters Day quotes for 2017. What can you do with them? Write them in a card, share them in a text, or post them on a social media account — it's up to you.
There's really no relationship quite like the one had between two sisters. As one of these quotes points out, sisterhood is often the strongest relationship in the family unit, which can make it both powerfully supportive and a little bit insane. Who hasn't wanted to shake their sister silly at one point or another? But no matter how crazy your sis makes you, you can never quit loving her.
Sister relationships need nurturing, just like any other relationship does. Let your sis know how much she means to you this National Sisters Day, and be sure to keep in touch with her throughout the entirety of the year (not just on this day). Having a sister is a blessing, and if you ever forget that, think of all the only children out there who would do just about anything to have one.
1. “You can kid the world, but not your sister.” — Charlotte Gray
2. "We hang out, we help one another, we tell one another our worst fears and biggest secrets, and then just like real sisters, we listen and don’t judge.” — Adriana Trigiani
3. "We acquire friends and we make enemies, but our sisters come with the territory.” — Evelyn Loeb
4. “Sister is probably the most competitive relationship within the family, but once the sisters are grown, it becomes the strongest relationship.” — Margaret Mead
5. "When sisters stand shoulder to shoulder, who stands a chance against us?” — Pam Brown
6. “Sisters, as you know, also have a unique relationship. This is the person who has known you your entire life, who should love you and stand by you no matter what, and yet it’s your sister who knows exactly where to drive the knife to hurt you the most.” — Lisa See
7. "How do people make it through life without a sister?” — Sara Corpening
8. "A sister can be seen as someone who is both ourselves and very much not ourselves – a special kind of double.” — Toni Morrison
9. "The best thing about having a sister was that I always had a friend.” — Cali Rae Turner
10. “An older sister is a friend and defender — a listener, conspirator, a counsellor and a sharer of delights. And sorrows too.” — Pam Brown
11. “Sisters function as safety nets in a chaotic world simply by being there for each other.” — Carol Saline
Images: William Stitt/Unsplash