It's a rough day for my fellow cheese addicts — a supplier has triggered a Sargento cheese recall for possible Listeria contamination, and it affects seven of the brand's popular cheeses. According to Sargento, which tweeted about the recall on February 10, Deutsch Kase Haus, LLC, the company that supplies Sargento's Colby cheese, informed Sargento of the possible contamination, prompting a recall of cheese packaged in their Wisconsin factory — a possible contamination that also affects several other companies, including Sara Lee brand deli cheese and Taylor Farms.
While there have been no confirmed cases of Listeria associated with the recall, it's better to be safe than sorry — according to the CDC, Listeria is a serious infection caused by contamination of the bacteria Listeria monocytogenes; about 1600 people contract it a year, and it results in 260 deaths. The symptoms include stiffness, muscle aches, fever, and possible convulsions, and are especially harmful to pregnant women, older people, and people with weakened immune systems. Last year alone there were three multi-state outbreaks of Listeriosis, from vegetables, raw milk, and salad.
In response to the possible contamination, Sargento has announced which types of cheese are affected by the recall, with their UPCs and Sell By dates included.
Here are the seven cheeses Sargento listed in the recall:
- Sargento Sliced Colby-Jack Cheese, 12 oz., UPC 4610000109 with “Sell By” date of “11JUN17B”
- Sargento Sliced Pepper Jack Cheese, 12 oz., UPC 4610000108 with “Sell By” dates of “12JUN17B”, “09JUL17B” and “10JUL17B”
- Sargento Chef Blends Shredded Taco Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040002 with “Sell By” dates of “H14JUN17” and “F28JUN17”
- Sargento Off The Block Shredded Fine Cut Colby-Jack Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040014 with “Sell By” date of “F05JUL17”
- Sargento Off The Block Shredded Fine Cut Cheddar Jack Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040076 with “Sell By” date of “F05JUL17”
- Sargento Ultra Thin Sliced Longhorn Colby, 6.84 oz., UPC 4610000228, with “Sell By” dates of “12APR17B” and “10MAY17B”
- Sargento Chef Blends Shredded Nacho & Taco Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040041, with “Sell By” dates of “H14JUN17” and “H12JUL17”
Sargento advises that any customers who purchased affected products throw them away immediately. Any customers with further questions can contact Sargento from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 1-800-CHEESES (1-800-243-3737).