Father’s Day is just around the corner, and if you haven’t figured out how you’ll celebrate dad on his day, it might be time to start thinking about it. There are plenty of ways to show dad you care, from dad dates to gifts to even big family gatherings. A Father’s Day brunch is the perfect way to get everyone in your family together in one place, as it lets everyone shower dad with love and affection at the same time. But setting a table for six or seven gets pricey fast, as does shopping around for the perfect gift. And while it’s nice to show dad that you appreciate him with a gift hand-selected just for him, sometimes the most touching tributes can’t be bought.
If you’re strapped for cash or looking for a more creative way to show dad you care, consider the grand gesture of a social media shout-out. It’s free, heartfelt, and totally customizable, meaning you can share an inside joke or tear-jerky song that will hit dad right in the sweet spot. Not sure how to say it? Browse these song lyrics to share on Instagram on Father’s Day and see if anything hits home.
1. “On behalf of every man, looking out for every girl, you are the God and weight of her world.” — "Daughters," John Mayer
Despite the weird, irksome nature of positioning dad as God, "Daughters" does have a formidable, tear-jerking component to it. The sweet song is bound to bring a smile to dad’s face.
2. “You're beautiful baby, from the outside in, chase your dreams but always know, the road that will lead you home again... you'll always be my little girl.” — "My Little Girl," Tim McGraw
There’s some weird "only if I say it’s OK" stuff happening in this song, but like John Mayer’s ditty, it’s as sweet as father/daughter songs go.
3.“I'm gonna watch you shine, gonna watch you grow, gonna paint a sign so you always know, as long as one and one is two, ooh ooh, there could never be a father love his daughter more than I love you.” — "Father & Daughter," Paul Simon
THIS SONG GET ME EVERY TIME. Literally cannot listen to the chorus without tears in my eyes. Paint dad a sign on his special day, snap a photo, and pair it with these lyrics for a tribute that really shines.
4. “There's a man who always stood right by me, tall and proud and good when times were bad. Too much heart is the only fault that I see. This song's not for you folks, it's for my dad.” — "It’s For My Dad," Nancy Sinatra
Queen Nancy knows how to zero in on an idea and bring it home (her boots are made for walking…) and she turns her focus to her fab father in this classic dad-loving song.
5. “And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon, little boy blue and the man in the moon. When you coming home, dad? I don't know when, but we'll get together then. You know we'll have a good time then.” — "Cat’s in the Cradle," Cat Stevens
If you and dad tend to go many moons without speaking or seeing each other, or if it’s been way too long since you’ve sat down for some quality time, this Cat Stevens fave might say it better than you can.
7. “And then all of a sudden it seemed so strange to me, how we went from something's missing to a family. Lookin' back, all I can say about all the things he did for me, is I hope I'm at least half the dad that he didn't have to be.” — "He Didn’t Have to Be," Brad Paisley
If you’ve got a blended or nontraditional family (and let's be honest, what does a "traditional" family even look like?), your relationship with your dad might look a little unique — and this song probably hits close to home. Pair the lyrics with a sweet photo from your childhood.
Image: Hope House Press/Unsplash