If you're always on the go, you know that packing meals ahead of time is a lifesaver. Plus, it saves you money in the long run. And that's exactly why finding the best food storage containers is so important. They'll keep your meals properly sealed and make them easy to reheat, too.
Food Storage Containers 101
- They come in lots of different materials. Plastic containers are generally efficient and are less expensive than glass options. However, glass containers tend to be sturdier and oven safe (plastic containers can only be microwaved). Silicone options also exist, and they're more flexible for easy storage between uses.
- They're often sold in multipacks. You get a few different size options in one purchase including, sometimes, smaller containers for sauces and dressings.
- They have sealed, leak-proof lids. This limits spills and ensures your food stays fresh.
To help you distinguish between all the options available, I've compiled a list of the best food storage containers, below. No matter how you decide to use them, all my picks are top-quality, affordable, and sure to make your time spent in the kitchen a little bit easier. When you've picked your favorites, go ahead and check out the best dry food storage containers.
1. The Overall Best Food Storage Containers Considering Value & Variety
Rubbermaid Food Storage Containers, Set Of 30
If you love a good value, Rubbermaid's plastic storage containers are for you. Retailing for just $25, this 30-pack of BPA-free containers conveniently includes multiple sizes for all different kinds of meals, from large portions to salad dressings. Even better, they're dishwasher- and microwave-safe and use the brand's signature snap-on lids for easy storage. Though plastic containers usually don't offer as strong of a seal, users say these work fantastically considering the price. However, be warned: They do tend to stain or, in some cases, take on the scent of food, which isn't unusual for plastic.
2. Also Great: A Set Of Sturdy, Stackable Plastic Containers With Airtight Lids
Popit! Food Storage Containers, Set Of 8
If you prefer plastic but want something a bit sturdier, these BPA-free food storage containers by Popit are a solid choice. Like the option above, this eight-pack comes with airtight lids that snap shut to keep your food extra fresh. Though this set has fewer sizes available, all the containers are rectangular and safe for use in the dishwasher, the freezer, and the microwave. Users say these are super durable and long-lasting, with one Amazon reviewer calling them "small but mighty."
3. Best Glass Option: A Value Pack Of Lots Of Different-Sized Containers
Pyrex Food Container Set, Set Of 9
Pyrex's simply store food container set is the best glass option. They're made with Pyrex's non-porous glass, meaning they won't trap food odors or stain as easily as some plastic options do. The nine-pack comes with a variety of different containers — both circular and rectangular — as well as BPA-free, airtight lids. Like others on this list, these are also dishwasher safe, and the bottom glass area (not the lids!) can even go straight in the oven when you're ready to reheat your food.
4. Best Silicone Option: Collapsible Containers That Stack For Compact Storage
Vremi Silicone Food Storage Containers, Set Of 4
This four-pack of silicone food storage containers by Vremi is a great choice if you have limited storage space in your kitchen. The compact containers are collapsible — up to a third of their regular size — and stackable. You get two large containers and two small containers, each of which comes with its own BPA-free, leak-proof lid that snaps shut. They're all microwave- and dishwasher-safe, and users seem to agree that they're great for small spaces.
5. Best For Meal Prep: Pre-Portioned Glass Containers With Utensil Holders
Hello Meal Prep Glass Containers, Set Of 5
If you meal prep throughout the week, Hello Meal Prep's five-pack of rectangular glass containers will make your life so much easier. They're pre-portioned into three compartments so you don't need to measure out your portions beforehand. Unlike the other glass containers on this list, these have glass lids instead of plastic. However, the lids do have airtight rings to prevent spills and keep your food fresh. They even have a place to store utensils! The containers themselves are safe for the dishwasher, the freezer, and the oven.
Bustle may receive a portion of sales from products purchased from this article, which was created independently from Bustle's editorial and sales departments.