Who doesn't love to jazz up their phone with a fun and fancy case? My own case is a black cat giving the finger, because why not? Heads up, though, to anyone who's using one of those sparkly cases, because glittery phone cases are being recalled after reports that they can leak and cause skin irritation — in some cases, minor, and in others, much more serious.
The glittery cases — manufactured in China for the iPhone 6, 6s, and 7 — are made by electronics company MixBin and sold by the likes of Victoria's Secret, Nordstrom Rack, Tory Burch, Henri Bendel, and Amazon, as well as their own website. Reports started surfacing of leaking cases and subsequent blisters, burns, and swelling caused by the liquid inside. One consumer reported permanent scarring from a chemical burn, while another experienced swelling to her leg, face, neck, chest, hands, and upper body.
All in all, 24 reports of skin irritation have been filed, with 19 from the U.S. alone. For these reasons, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has issued a recall on over 260,000 of these iPhone cases across the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
MixBin said in a press release that if you have one of their iPhone cases, you should contact them immediately for a reimbursement. They've also suggested not to throw it out, as they will provide directions for properly disposing of it. Unless you kept the original packaging and can check the model number and UPC listed, you might find it difficult to determine whether or not you have one of MixBin's cases. It's better to be safe than sorry, so it might be time to go shopping for a cute new iPhone case.
This isn't the first we're hearing of this. Early last year, a story emerged of a nine-year-old who got a burn in the exact shape of her iPhone case after the pink, glittery liquid leaked onto her leg. Since then, more stories of women being burned by the iPhone cases have popped up.
Even if you don't notice any cracks or leaks in your case, best to switch it out — people have noted that their cases have leaked without any signs of damage. Stay safe, friends!