Warner Brothers confirmed on Sunday night that production on Bachelor in Paradise Season 4 had been suspended due to "allegations of misconduct," according to a statement released to The Hollywood Reporter from Warner Bros. Since then, reports and claims have continued to surface. This post will be updated as more news is reported.
"We have become aware of allegations of misconduct on the set of Bachelor in Paradise in Mexico," a Warner Bros. representative told THR. "We have suspended production and we are conducting a thorough investigation of these allegations. Once the investigation is complete, we will take appropriate responsive action."
On Monday, People reported that sources claimed the alleged event involved DeMario Jackson and an unnamed female contestant, who allegedly "may have been too drunk to consent" to sexual activity. Bustle has reached out to Jackson and ABC regarding this report, but did not receive a response at the time of publication; Warner Bros. sent along the same statement included above.
An anonymous cast member on the reality show spoke to People and expressed concern that crew members allegedly did not take action to stop the alleged incident. "People are pissed, and not just at DeMario. We’re pissed that this whole thing happened," the contestant said. "They could have seen that she was drinking too much and that he was taking advantage. They could have stopped this before it got this far. But they decided to let it go, and let it happen, and see what happened? So, I'm angry at the show, and everyone else is too."
Entertainment Tonight spoke to a source who noted that after arriving in Mexico, cast members were "drinking all day." The source claims it was a producer on the show who made the complaint that led the the halt in production.
TMZ, however, is reporting that, according to sources allegedly connected to Jackson, "everything was fine" between Jackson and the female contestant, which TMZ reports is Corinne Olympios, the morning after the alleged incident. (Bustle has reached out to Olympios for comment, but did not receive a response at the time of publication.) They were reportedly called into the Executive Producer's office the next day, and were allegedly informed that the shows producers were "uncomfortable" with what they had seen on footage of the previous evening.
For now, as conflicting reports continue to roll in, it is unknown whether filming on Bachelor in Paradise Season 4 will go forward or not.
Update, June 12, 1:58 p.m. EST: On Monday, TMZ reported that sources allegedly close to the female contestant have been told that she was reportedly "in a blackout state" during the alleged incident and "remembers nothing." In addition, the sources also claim that she "doesn't fully blame DeMario because he too was drunk." A statement directly from the contestant herself has yet to be given.
Update, June 13, 6:19 p.m. EST: In a video posted by TMZ, Jackson says "no comment" in response to numerous questions about the alleged incident. Asked if he's upset about reports alleging that Olympios claims she did not give consent, Jackson responded, "No, no. I'm all good."
Update June 14, 3:32 p.m. EST: On Wednesday, June 14, Corinne Olympios' rep released a statement about the Bachelor In Paradise allegations to Bustle:
“I am a victim and have spent the last week trying to make sense of what happened on June 4. Although I have little memory of that night, something bad obviously took place, which I understand is why production on the show has now been suspended and a producer on the show has filed a complaint against the production. As a woman, this is my worst nightmare and it has now become my reality. As I pursue the details and facts surrounding that night and the immediate days after, I have retained a group of professionals to ensure that what happened on June 4 comes to light and I can continue my life, including hiring an attorney to obtain justice and seeking therapy to begin dealing with the physical and emotional trauma stemming from that evening.”
Update, June 14, 8:12 p.m. EST: On the evening of Wednesday, June 14, Jackson released a statement about Olympios' allegations to E! News:
"It's unfortunate that my character and family name has been assassinated this past week with false claims and malicious allegations. I will be taking swift and appropriate legal action until my name is cleared and, per the advice of legal counsel, will be seeking all available remedies entitled to me under the laws."
Update, June 20, 2:01 p.m. EST: On June 20, an ABC spokesperson provided the following statement to Bustle:
“We appreciate the swift and complete investigation by Warner Bros. into allegations of misconduct on the set of ‘Bachelor in Paradise.’ Given their results, the series will resume production, and will air this summer on ABC.”
Warner Bros.' statement to Bustle read,
"As we previously stated, we recently became aware of allegations regarding an incident on the set of Bachelor in Paradise in Mexico. We take all such allegations seriously. The safety, security and well-being of the cast and crew is our number one concern, and we suspended filming so that the allegations could be investigated immediately and thoroughly. Our internal investigation, conducted with the assistance of an outside law firm, has now been completed. Out of respect for the privacy interests of those involved, we do not intend to release the videotape of the incident. We can say, however, that the tape does not support any charge of misconduct by a cast member. Nor does the tape show, contrary to many press reports, that the safety of any cast member was ever in jeopardy. Production on this season of Bachelor in Paradise will be resuming, and we plan to implement certain changes to the show’s policies and procedures to enhance and further ensure the safety and security of all participants.”
Update, June 20, 4:36 p.m. ET: On Tuesday, June 20, Corinne Olympios' lawyer Martin Singer released a statement to Bustle that read,
“It needs to be made crystal clear that production of 'Bachelor in Paradise' was shut down because of multiple complaints received from 'BIP' producers and crew members on the set. It was not shut down due to any complaint filed by Corinne against anyone. It comes as no surprise that Warner Bros., as a result of its own internal Investigation, would state that no wrong doing had occurred. Our own investigation will continue based on multiple new witnesses coming forward revealing what they saw and heard.”