What's more relaxing than sipping on a glass of red wine after a long, hard week at the office? As these wine quotes for National Wine Days argue, possibly nothing. Celebrate National Wine Day this May 25 (responsibly, of course — and only if you're of legal drinking age) by reading through these hilarious, poetic, and creative quotes about wine while you guzzle down some of the good stuff.
Along with making you feel pretty darn good, wine also has a lot of health benefits. According to Food & Wine, drinking wine can lower the risk of heart disease, reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes, lower risk of stroke, cut risk of cataracts, cut risk of colon cancer, and slow brain decline. Pretty awesome, right? Now you really can feel great about celebrating National Wine Day with a glass or two of your favorite red or white.
You'll find a wide array of famous names in the roundup of quotes below, including Benjamin Franklin and Francis Bacon. Take a read through them all and see which one hits home for you — and then share it with all your fellow wine-drinking friends. Spread the love of wine this National Wine Day, because it truly is a magical beverage. And besides, what's better than tipsy texting?
1. "Wine is bottled poetry." — Robert Louis Stevenson
2. "Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy." — Benjamin Franklin
3. "A gourmet meal without a glass of wine just seems tragic to me somehow." — Kathy Mattea
4. "There's something about having a great bottle of wine and a great cigar. Nothing compares to it." — D. L. Hughley
5. "To take wine into our mouths is to savor a droplet of the river of human history." — Clifton Fadiman
6. "I love everything that's old, — old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wine." — Oliver Goldsmith
7. "We are all mortal until the first kiss and the second glass of wine." — Eduardo Galeano
8. "What I like to drink most is wine that belongs to others." — Diogenes
9. "Let us celebrate the occasion with wine and sweet words." — Plautus
10. "But nothing beats a Woody Allen film on a Sunday night, with a glass of wine and some leftovers." — Kate Fleetwood
11. "Wine, like food, is so emotional. If you think about it, so much of the courting ritual is surrounded by wine and food. There's a built-in romance to wine." — Padma Lakshmi
12. "I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food." — W. C. Fields
13. "Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read." — Francis Bacon
14. "Wine comes in at the mouth And love comes in at the eye; That's all we shall know for truth Before we grow old and die." — William Butler Yeats
Images: Serge Esteve/Unsplash