Yoga teacher Brett Larkin says this pose “liberates locked-up hips.”
- Lie on your back.
- Fold your knees toward armpits.
- Hold onto outer shins, ankles, or feet.
- Gently rock side to side.
Do it after a workout or whenever you feel stiff.
Colpa says this is a great deep stretch for the hip flexors.
- Start in tabletop.
- Send right knee behind right wrist, heel to left hip.
- Use toes to walk left leg out straight behind you.
- Hold for 3-6 breaths, then repeat on other side.
Thomas Barwick/DigitalVision/Getty Images
Get an “amazing full-body stretch with a focus on the hips,” says Colpa.
- From tabletop, step right foot up next to right hand.
- Straighten left leg back behind you.
- For a deeper stretch, bring forearms to ground or grab back foot.
- Hold 30 sec. per side.
Rowan Jordan/E+/Getty Images
Physical therapist Lara Heimann recommends this pose for hip pain.
- Lunge forward, like you’re about to propose on one knee.
- Lift torso up, spine engaged.
- Lift arms to enhance stretch in hips.
- Hold for 20 seconds on each side.
Getty Images/Thananit Suntiviriyanon / EyeEm
D’Agnese says this offers a great stretch in your hips and lower back.
- Lie on ground.
- Let your knees fall to one side and open your opposite arm.
- Turn head to look at opposite arm.
- Hold for 30 sec. per side.