6 Times 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Shay Mitchell Showed Off Her Feminist Side
Shay Mitchell is one name Pretty Little Liars fans know extremely well. For the past five years, PLL viewers have watched Mitchell play Emily Fields on the popular ABC Family drama, where's she made the character her own, all while portraying a lesbian teen and raising awareness for important LGBT issues. She's definitely a leading lady in Hollywood who is influencing the world and the lives of her fans immensely. For example, when it comes to being an independent woman living the single life and following her dreams, Shay Mitchell is a role model showcasing her feminist side.
I'm not sure if the 28-year-old actress considers herself a feminist, but she's definitely making other feminists, like myself, happy with her actions and words of wisdom. Every time I read an interview with her, I become an even bigger fan than I already am. There's no doubt that Mitchell is absolutely stunning on the outside, but the same also goes for her inner beauty. Based on her interaction with fans, her active snaps on Snapchat, and her character in interviews, Mitchell is a feminist's inspiration changing the world for the better.
With that said, here are some quotes from Mitchell, where she shows off her feminist side and proves she is an amazing individual.
1. "We have so much to deal with, wouldn’t it just be easier if we just supported one another instead of trying to tear each other down? That’s not what I’m about. I want to support everybody who’s doing well."
As Mitchell told HelloGiggles, women should most definitely support other women.
2. "I have friends who like that drama. I’m not one of those people. If you’re a suitable, positive partner, then great, I’d love to add you to my life. But I don’t need anybody to feel complete. I don’t need to be with somebody just to not be alone."
When it comes to being single, Mitchell told Seventeen that she's totally fine with it. She makes herself feel complete.
3. "It makes me want to play important, valuable characters going forward and ones that have a message. Strong, independent women, that are gonna kick ass and sometimes in high heels and that’s awesome, you know?"
While chatting with HelloGiggles, Mitchell proved that women are badasses.
4. "Honestly, think from back in the day when people thought that way — that women should be at home and the men should be working. It has changed so much. You know, there are so many women that are working now, and I feel like there's been a huge movement in that. Do I think it's all fair and equal as it should be? No, we definitely have more room to grow in that regard. But I do feel like it has gotten better."
Mitchell's wise words to SheKnows about equal rights for women.
5. "A job is a powerful thing. By giving a woman a chance to discover what she’s good at and use her time, talent and skills to contribute to her community, she not only can provide for herself and her family, but she also gains confidence and dignity. She will feel like she can take on the world."
In an interview with InStyle, Mitchell opened up about hard working women and how she's helping women across the world make something of themselves.
6. "Now that I'm older, I realize that the things that made me different are the things that make me special. And when a girl comes up to me and says, 'You're so pretty. I want to look like you,' I say, 'No, you don't. You want to look like you, because you're unique and you're beautiful.'"
As Mitchell told Teen Vogue, never conform to anyone else's standards.
Is she your role model or new favorite actress yet? Well, she should be.