I’ve never been shy about being a beer lover. I’m an Irish-American who loves watching sports, hanging out in pubs, and feeling refreshed on hot southern California days. So one of my favorite unofficial holidays is National Drink Beer Day. And I’m obviously not the only one who is unafraid to express their love, based on these amazing quotes about beer.
Beer has a long and storied history, so it’s no wonder that a variety of important figures have felt compelled to comment on its awesomeness. I mean, our country was basically born out of a group of men gathered in a tavern, toasting to their revolution. In Germany, monks used to make beer in the monasteries and call it “liquid bread,” as it was basically a food staple. Beer has, of course, evolved a lot over the years. Think of all the different varieties, gastropubs, craft brews, micro brews, and beer festivals that are out there nowadays. It’s a glorious time to be a beer lover, and National Drink Beer Day is just another excuse to sip on a few cold ones.
Let two presidents, a philosopher, a few actors, a cartoon character, and more inspire your beer-drinking celebrations with a few choice quotes about this delicious libation.
1. “He was a wise man who invented beer.” — Plato
2. “In a study, scientists report that drinking beer can be good for the liver. I’m sorry, did I say ‘scientists’? I meant Irish people.” — Tina Fey
3. “Beer. It's the best damn drink in the world.” — Jack Nicholson
4. “Some people wanted champagne and caviar when they should have had beer and hot dogs.” — Dwight D. Eisenhower
5. “Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer.” — Henry Lawson
6. “I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer.” — Homer Simpson
7. “Beer, if drunk in moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes health.” — Thomas Jefferson
8. “They who drink beer will think beer." — Washington Irving
9. “Most people hate the taste of beer to begin with. It is, however, a prejudice.” — Winston Churchill
10. “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” — Benjamin Franklin (Sort Of)
Images: Giphy (10)