New York Officials Insist ISIS Video Targeting New York City Is Not A "Credible Threat"
Despite the release of what appears to be a new ISIS video targeting New York City, officials assured New Yorkers there was no "specific or credible threat" made against the city. Mayor Bill de Blasio and Police Commissioner William Bratton spoke at a press conference late on Wednesday from Times Square, assuring that the city would not be intimidated by ISIS propaganda. NYC would be the second U.S. city to be specifically highlighted by the terrorist group since the attacks in Paris last Friday that left at least 129 people dead. ISIS has claimed responsibility for the carnage, and the terrorist organization appears to be setting its sight beyond its territory in the Middle East, putting France and the rest of the world on edge.
Both de Blasio and Bratton acknowledged that New York remains a top terrorist target, but that the city would remain strong. "We understand the goal of terrorists to intimidate and disrupt our democratic society," de Blasio said. "We will not submit to their wishes." The mayor also asked the public to be vigilant with the "see something, say something" policy. Bratton said the "mishmash of previously released videos" appeared hastily made and assured the city and its millions of visitors that authorities would preserve safety going into the holiday season. "We will not be intimidated and we will not live in fear," Bratton said.
According to Reuters, the unverified six-minute video shows a suicide bomber who zips up a leather jacket, suggesting an impending attack. There are clips previously used in other ISIS videos of Times Square, Herald Square, and other popular tourist spots around the city. The suicide bomber is shown holding what may be a trigger. The video also displays scenes of Paris and remarks made by French President Francois Hollande. Fox News reports the end of the video reads, "and what is to come will be worse and more bitter."
You can check out some stills of the video below via CNN.
"While some of the video footage is not new, the video reaffirms the message that New York City remains a top terrorist target," the New York Police Department said in a statement. "While there is no current or specific threat to the city at this time, we will remain at a heightened state of vigilance."
An ISIS video released Monday named Washington D.C. as the militant group's next target after Paris, prompting security to ramp up across the nation's capital.