With every new year comes a chance at a fresh start. These 15 inspirational New Year quotes can help light that inner spark. New Year's Eve has a special feeling to it. Nostalgia can easily take over, but with the remembrance of bittersweet memories also comes the hope of making newer, better ones in the year to come.
While setting a New Year's resolution might be your first thought of how to change yourself and your surroundings for the better, we can often drop that very resolution the second we break it. A handful of the quotes below address the beauty of change, as well as the persistence it takes. Just because you fail once doesn't mean you have to give up completely.
The New Year is a great time to challenge yourself, but it certainly isn't the only time. Every new day brings a fresh start. Heck, every new hour does. There's nothing wrong with viewing the new year as a new beginning, but there's definitely something to gain from viewing every day that same way.
So with that, take a moment to fill yourself up with inspiration, and may your new year be filled with joy, happiness, and positive change galore!
1. "The new year stands before us, like a chapter in a book, waiting to be written. We can help write that story by setting goals." — Melody Beattie
2. "If you asked me for my New Year Resolution, it would be to find out who I am." — Cyril Cusack
3. "New Year's Day. A fresh start. A new chapter in life waiting to be written. New questions to be asked, embraced, and loved. Answers to be discovered and then lived in this transformative year of delight and self-discovery. Today, carve out a quiet interlude for yourself in which to dream, pen in hand. Only dreams give birth to change." — Sarah Ban Breathnach
4. "Let our New Year's resolution be this: we will be there for one another as fellow members of humanity, in the finest sense of the word." — Goran Persson
5. "Ring out the false, ring in the true." — Alfred Lord Tennyson
6. "Every time you tear a leaf off a calendar, you present a new place for new ideas and progress." — Charles Kettering
7. "And now we welcome the new year. Full of things that have never been." — Rainer Maria Rilke
8. "I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes. Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're doing something." — Neil Gaiman
9. "Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right." — Oprah Winfrey
10. "Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man." — Benjamin Franklin
11. "Year's end is neither an end nor a beginning but a going on, with all the wisdom that experience can instill in us." — Hal Borland
12. "Hope smiles from the threshold of the year to come, whispering, 'It will be happier.'" — Alfred Lord Tennyson
13. "I think in terms of the day's resolutions, not the years'." — Henry Moore
14. "All of us every single year, we're a different person. I don't think we're the same person all our lives." — Steven Spielberg
15. "To have the kind of year you want to have, something has to happen that you can't explain why it happened. Something has to happen that you can't coach." — Bobby Bowden
Looking for more holiday cheer? Check out Bustle on YouTube.