You thought it would never get here, but behold, Christmas has finally arrived — and you're exhausted. You love the hustle of preparing for this holiday, and of course you love spending time with your family, but now that the presents are wrapped and you're all in the same room together, what do you say to each other? Let these Christmas quotes about family be your guide. Whether you are looking for something funny or inspiring, or just need a little last-minute blurb to jot down in a Christmas card to your Aunt Sally who you haven't seen in years, these quotes are a more eloquent way of saying "Merry Christmas" that require absolutely no thinking on your part — consider it my gift to you.
With all the craziness of the holidays, it can be easy to forget what this holiday is actually about. The reason why we subject ourselves to frantic holiday travel is so that we can be with our families. The reason why we brave impossible store crowds is so that we can see the people we love most smile come Christmas morning. And while, yes, too much family time can make you swear off the holidays all together, more likely than not it's the memories you make with your relatives that you remember each year, not the presents you unwrapped and then forgot about a few weeks later.
From Bob Hope to Pope Francis, Kelly Clarkson to Charles Dickens, here are 14 people who have reminded us what Christmas is really about.
1. “My idea of Christmas, whether old-fashioned or modern, is very simple: loving others. Come to think of it, why do we have to wait for Christmas to do that?” ― Bob Hope
2. “Christmas isn't just a day, it's a frame of mind.” — Valentine Davies, Miracle on 34th Street
3. "At Christmas, all roads lead home." — Marjorie Holmes
4. “Christmas is doing a little something extra for someone.” ― Charles M. Schulz
5. “One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas day. Don't clean it up too quickly." ― Andy Rooney
6. "It is Christmas in the heart that puts Christmas in the air.” — W. T. Ellis
7. "Christmas is joy, religious joy, an inner joy of light and peace." — Pope Francis
8. "The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree: the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other." — Burton Hillis
9. "A lovely thing about Christmas is that it's compulsory, like a thunderstorm, and we all go through it together." — Garrison Keillor
10. "The thing about Christmas is that it almost doesn't matter what mood you're in or what kind of a year you've had — it's a fresh start." — Kelly Clarkson
11. "This is the message of Christmas: We are never alone." — Taylor Caldwell
12. “I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.” — Charles Dickens
13. “Santa Claus has the right idea. Visit people once a year.” — Victor Borge
14. "Christmas waves a magic wand over this world, and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful." — Norman Vincent Peale
Looking for more holiday cheer? Check out Bustle on YouTube.
Images: Pexels; Giphy