Christmas has a way of making people feel all the feels. From the twinkling Christmas tree to the thoughtful gifts beneath it, there’s just something heartwarming about the holiday. Even those who are a bit more like the Grinch than Buddy the Elf have something to say about Christmas… so there’s no shortage of Christmas quotes about this festive time of year. In fact, there are so many that it can be hard to find a good one. Because during the holidays, everyone has something to say, from famous authors to comedians to actors to cartoon characters. And that's great, if you ask me, because Christmas is a beautiful time full of lots of beautiful things to talk about.
I admit, I enjoy quoting Elf as much as the next girl (and just referenced the movie twice in one post now), but sometimes I need to find holiday inspiration elsewhere. The problem is, a lot of quotes about Christmas are too sappy or too cynical for my taste. But there are a select few, both funny and heartfelt, that really hit home. So whether you're sentimental or snarky, I hope you find a quote on this list that suits your holiday spirit.
1. “Christmas isn't just a day, it's a frame of mind.” — Valentine Davies, Miracle on 34th Street
2. “Christmas waves a magic wand over this world, and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful.” ― Norman Vincent Peale
3. “One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas day. Don't clean it up too quickly." ― Andy Rooney
4. “'One can never have enough socks,'" said Dumbledore. "'Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.'" ― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
5. "What I don't like about office Christmas parties is looking for a job the next day." ― Phyllis Diller
6. “Christmas was on its way. Lovely, glorious, beautiful Christmas, upon which the entire kid year revolved.” ― Jean Shepherd, A Christmas Story
7. "Let's just say that on this day, a million years ago, a dude was born who most of us think was magic. But others don't, and that's cool. But we're probably right. Amen." ― Homer Simpson
8. “Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time.” ― Laura Ingalls Wilder
9. "Nothing says holidays like a cheese log." ― Ellen DeGeneres
10. “Christmas is doing a little something extra for someone.” ― Charles Schulz
11. "I throw a Christmas party at my house. It's not really a Christmas party, because I don't want to call it a Christmas party. But let's just say I put a lot of Christmas trees around the house, so it smells good." ― Bill Murray
12. “I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.” ― Ebenezer Scrooge in A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.
13. “My idea of Christmas, whether old-fashioned or modern, is very simple: loving others. Come to think of it, why do we have to wait for Christmas to do that?” — Bob Hope
14. "Unless we make Christmas an occasion to share our blessings, all the snow in Alaska won’t make it white." — Bing Crosby
Images: zizzy/Flickr; Giphy (14)