If popular television is to be believed, American men love strip clubs. But in the real world, they get a bigger kick out of Coldplay concerts, at least according to a new survey from Esquire magazine. Esquire asked 1,000 U.S. men about their behaviors, beliefs, and attitudes — from whether they like their jobs to whether they get stage-fright when someone's at a nearby urinal. Many of the findings fly in the face of conventional wisdom. Here are eight surprising facts about American men in 2014.
- Only 7 percent of men really dig strip clubs. When asked how much they enjoy going to strip clubs, only 7 percent answered "immensely." About a quarter said they enjoyed them somewhat, 31 percent said they enjoyed them a little bit, and 37 percent answered "not even a little bit."
- Men like cooking, shopping, and Coldplay concerts better than strip clubs. Some 8 percent said they would "immensely" enjoy attending a Coldplay concert, 11 percent really like shopping for new clothes and 27 percent are big fans of cooking dinner for family and friends.
- 20 percent are unemployed. When asked how they felt about their job, 14 percent said they loved it, 36 percent "liked it okay," 27 percent tolerate it, 2 percent hate it, and 20 percent said job? What job?
- Only 14 percent have sexted recently. Meanwhile, 63 percent say they've never sexted.
- Not all men like TV sports — not even close. Nearly 30 percent said they didn't enjoy watching TV sports at all. Ten percent enjoy it immensely, 28 percent enjoy it somewhat and 33 percent enjoy it a little bit.
- They're shockingly sober. When asked how often they had two or more drinks in one sitting, 48 percent of men said not even once a week. Thirty-four percent imbibe one or two nights per week, 10 percent on three or four nights, 5 percent on five or six nights, and 3 percent drink like Don Draper (that is: every night).
- Men appreciate a good moisturizer. Asked about the last time the applied moisturizer, more than half (56 percent) said within the past month.
- Very few men have sex every day. When asked how often they had sexual intercourse, only 2 percent answered seven or more times per week and only 3 percent said four-to-six times per week. The majority (59 percent) fell in the one to five times per week range, with a fifth of men saying they don't have sex on any sort of regular basis.
You can see the whole infographic of the results here.