Will Mark Ruffalo Really Boycott The Oscars? He Says He's "Weighing It" At The Moment
The always socially conscious star Mark Ruffalo may join the Oscar boycott. During an interview with BBC Breakfast, Ruffalo addressed the boycott which was first proposed by Jada Pinkett-Smith in response to the Academy Of Motion Picture Arts And Sciences' glaring lack of diversity in its 2016 nominees. So far, Pinkett-Smith's husband Will Smith and iconic director Spike Lee have joined her as well as George Clooney and several other non-nominees, but if Ruffalo joins their ranks it will be a major deal, because Ruffalo is an Oscar nominee for Spotlight this year.
If Ruffalo decides not to attend the 2016 ceremony, he will be the first nominee to stand with the Academy boycott movement and he could open the door for more nominees to follow. The more empty seats at the ceremony, the more likely it is the Academy might get the message. Ruffalo spoke eloquently to BBC Breakfast about why he is seriously considering not attending this year's ceremony.
"I’m weighing it, yes," Ruffalo said. "That’s where I’m at right now. I woke up in the morning thinking, 'What is the right way to do this? Because if you look at Martin Luther King, Jr.’s legacy, what he was saying is the good people who don’t act are much worse than the wrongdoers who are purposely not acting and don’t know the right way."
Ruffalo has always been a passionate supporter of equality in Hollywood. From speaking out on Marvel's lack of female hero action figures to gamely answering sexist questions generally aimed at female stars, Ruffalo has never been shy about standing on the side of equality. While Ruffalo is still mulling over his decision on the Boycott, it is promising to see he is not shying away from discussing the important topic of diversity in film, while also trying to find a meaningful way to do something about it.
The ceremony will air Sunday, Feb. 28 on ABC. You can find more information on Pinkett-Smith's #OscarsSoWhite movement here.