Ask anyone who has been single the past few years who wants a relationship and they’ll give you a laundry list of grievances. To say modern dating is tough may be an understatement, and while dating apps and sites are supposed to make the process easier, for many, technology is often the leading culprit in miscommunications, hurt feelings, and unwarranted expectations.
Many dating experts and psychologists say that while having lots of choices can help you choose someone who fits your wants and needs, it can also have the opposite effect if you want to eventually settle into a relationship. “The concept that common courtesy is often lost. People don't have the civility to end things, they just ghost them, or ignore them with no explanation,” says psychologist Nikki Martinez, Psy.D., LCPC.
Esther Boykin, a licensed love and relationship therapist says modern dating is complicated, too: “Technology can bridge the gap and make it easy to connect with people all over but it can also intimidate and confuse the rules of engagement. People of all ages find themselves with more questions than answers when it comes to how to date now. I don't think it had to be something complicated but I see clients and friends definitely struggle. The downside of more options to meet and connect means that there are more opportunities for miscommunication and misunderstandings.”
So if you’re trying to field the sometimes very rocky road of modern dating and find yourself frustrated and about to give up, take some comfort in knowing you’re not alone. Here, real singles share what they dislike the most about modern dating.
1. I Don’t Like Being Summoned
2. I Don’t Like Feeling Disposable
3. I Don’t Like That Love Isn’t a Priority Anymore
4. I Don’t Like Being Cyberstalked
5. I Don’t Like How I’m Judged Purely On My Looks
6. I Don’t Like How I’m Messaged
7. I Don’t Like How Chivalry Seems to Be Dead
8. I Don’t Like How We Aren’t Willing to Give Relationships a Chance
9. I Don’t Like Not Being Called
10. I Don’t Like How We Rush Into Sex
11. I Don’t Like How Dating Feels Like a Job
12. I Don’t Like Being Overwhelmed With Choice
13. I Don’t Like How ‘A Drink’ Is Considered a Great Date
14. I Don’t Like How You Feel Like You’re Dating When You’re Not
15. I Don’t Like Knowing It All
16. It's Getting Harder To Tell If There's Chemistry
17. I Don't Like How We Judge Each Other
Want more of Bustle's Sex and Relationships coverage? Check out our new podcast, I Want It That Way, which delves into the difficult and downright dirty parts of a relationship, and find more on our Soundcloud page.