17 Positive Body Image Quotes That Will Make Even Your Worst Days Better
Bad body image days are often the worst. It can be difficult to work your way out of a negative self-image moment, particularly if you're being bombarded with articles about dieting, bikini bodies, and thinness day in and day out. That's why I seek out alternative sources of body positivity, positive body image quotes being one of my favorites. I find them to be especially helpful because of the sheer power of words. Personally, I've just never been a "sticks and stones may break my bones" kind of person.
For Emoto's Water Experiment, a well-known study conducted by researcher Masaru Emoto in 1994, he froze water ("distilled water for hospital usage produced by the same company") and conducted a variety of procedures with said water. These involved everything from showing the water pictures, letters, and praying to it. What he discovered was that after praising the water with positive words, messages, and images, beautiful crystals began to form, all observable with a microscope. When it was shown or told negative messages, however, the crystals grew in lopsided, distorted formations. Despite how hippie dippy this might sound to some, it would follow that the way we talk to ourselves can alter our perception on a molecular level as well.
So now that I've covered the science of sorts, let's take a look at some of the best quotes from the Internet that can change our sense of body image, even on the worst days.
1. "Recognize you survived."
No matter what you've been through, it's important to realize that you got through it and you're still standing here. Be proud and stand tall.
2. "My butt is big... and that's just fine. And those who scorn it are invited to kiss it."
If you're booty is big, all the power to you.
3. "You will always be beautiful to me!"
3. "You'll never look like the women in the magazines, because even the women in the magazines don't look like the women in the magazines."
4. "Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Your body is like your house: The one true home that you will have forever, regardless of where you go, what you do, or who you're with. It's important for you to care for it, in whatever ways feel right.
5. "Time to drink champagne and dance on the table."
This is a good reminder to take a step back and have fun. Sometimes we get so caught up in our own internal conversations and emotions that we forget to enjoy ourselves. Let this be your reminder to let go and live.
6. "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
Although we might sometimes think that we need to wait until we're at a certain weight, size, or fitness level before giving ourselves permission to be happy or practice self-love, we need to appreciate our bodies as they are now. That's often the first step towards happiness.
7. "Confidence is the sexiest thing a woman can have."
Owning your sense of self is such a powerful way to exist in the world. The nex time you are reaching for criticisms about your body when you look in the mirror, try confidence on for size. Tell yourself you are glorious, and feel that gloriousness.
8. "I wish I could go back and tell my teenage self that I was beautiful. But since I can't, I'm going to say it to you: Every single one of you is unique, beautiful, and worthy of a great life." — Demi Lovato
You are beautiful, no matter what. Side note: Lovato is an angel.
9. "Respect our shapes and sizes, embrace ourselves as we are, nurture compassion for ourselves and others: Only when we do this can we learn to love our bodies." — Kate Hudson
This is one of my favorite quotes from Kate Hudson's healthy living book Pretty Happy: Healthy Ways To Love Your Body. We can't cultivate self-love without self-respect and compassion.
10. "Sometimes when I feel 'too big' I ask myself: Compared to what?"
The size of your body is perfect for you and not indicative of anything else, including your worth.
11."Self-Love is like turmeric for the soul: It heals everything." — L.K. Elliott
In case you're not aware of the crazy amount of health benefits of turmeric, Huffington Post reported that the spice can do everything from preventing diabetes and cancer to subsiding joint pain. Just like this herb, self-love can be the cure for all of our body image woes.
12. "Even though it will never be flat again, my stomach is still my favourite because it reminds me of my greatest achievement: My babies." — Isla Fisher
For those parts of your body that you don't like, try to think about the ways in which they've served you, taken care of you, or kept your safe. Take Fisher's word for it: This is a great way to reframe your negative internal dialogue.
13. "Girls of all kinds can be beautiful — from the thin, plus-sized, short, very tall, ebony to porcelain-skinned; the quirky, clumsy, shy, outgoing, and all in between. It's not easy though because many people still put beauty into a confining, narrow box... Think outside of the box... Pledge that you will look in the mirror and find the unique beauty in you." — Tyra Banks
Beauty is subjective, and it is not defined by society.
14. "Love yourself, embrace your flaws, and never let the opinions of others affect your self confidence. You are enough."— Bethany Mota
YouTube sensation Bethany Mota is dropping a major truth bomb.
15. "Even your imperfections are perfect because they are perfectly tailored to you and have played a critical part in shaping your core. No one can take away the core of who you are." — Adiba Nelson
This inspirational body image quote is a part of a large piece by Nelson called "A Love Letter To Women Everywhere." And it's just one tidbit of her brilliance.
16. “You are a beautiful creation... perfectly imperfect... a work in progress... you have everything you need to fulfill your purpose... don't dilute yourself for any person or any reason... you are enough... be unapologetically you." — Steve Maraboli
This is just so true.
17. "In case you forgot to remind yourself this morning...Your butt is perfect. Your smile lights up the room. Your mind is insanely cool. You are way more than enough. And you are doing an amazing job at life." — L.K. Elliott
It's easy to get caught up in our own negative self-talk regarding how we're not doing enough or being enough. But you are already enough.
At the end of the day, that might just be the most important thing to keep in mind.
Want more body positivity? Check out the playlist below, and be sure to subscribe to Bustle's YouTube page for more inspo!