I have to say, I have a weakness for the way that romcoms portray female journalists, that is, as hilariously inaccurate as possible. From Beauty and the Briefcase to 13 Going On 30, I’ve been acquainted with nearly every faux lady journalist in cinema (and their unrealistically fabulous life). It’s kind of mystifying then that I’ve never caught the romantic comedy classic How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days... until now. And let me tell you, it didn’t disappoint, because How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days is a hilarious film. Thank God.
It’s a simple premise: columnist Andie Anderson (Kate Hudson, of course) has an assignment to, you guessed it, lose a guy in 10 days. At the same time, ad man Benjamin (Matthew McConaughey) makes a bet that he can make any woman fall in love with him in 10 days. It looks like these two crazy kids are going to collide— I hope they don’t accidentally fall in love as they simultaneously try to reach their goals and nearly have a falling out when they discover the truth about each other.
Spoiler alert: that’s exactly what happens.
Anyway, scroll down and enjoy some of the more delightfully bizarro things in 10 Things I Hate About You... besides that whole love fern thing.
1. The All Tiny Floral Print Aesthetic Is Frightening
Her hanky is even on theme, which is great, because lord knows you need a hanky when you're the tiny-floral-print girl.
2. I Momentarily Wondered Why He Was Getting Shirtless In His Office
Before realizing that Matthew McConaughey is probably legally contracted to take off his shirt in all his movies.
3. Andie Co-Opts Michelle's Horrible Life Choices For An Article And She's Like, So Grateful
I'd love to be the inspiration for a piece that's basically "How To Be Kryptonite To Men."
4. "Andie Anderson." "I'm Benjamin Barry."
Oh God, tell me these two both have a secret life fighting crime, because these aren't real names.
5. The Beautiful Way This Lothario Eats With His Hands
Is this how you lobster?
6. Andie's Cellphone Is Roughly The Size Of a Brick
Ah, the early 2000s.
7. SPONSORED BY...
Also, what office allows you to drink cocktails on the roof mid-day, can I go there?
8. Andie's Supposed To Be The Crazy One, But Benjamin's The One Smelling Her Boobs And All
Just gonna throw that out there.
9. Benjamin Basically Has Glorified Tater Tots As The Side For His Fancy Meal
Because he has all the sexual prowess of Napoleon Dynamite.
10. Andie Commits So Hard To This Article That She Legit Buys This Derpy-Looking Dog
And she also dresses it up.
11. Side Eye Game: Immaculate
12. Ugly Crying Game: Kim Kardashian Level
13. Oh, There Are The Kids In Switzerland, Yodeling.
I don't even think they are yodeling, though, but I guess that's a secondary concern here.
14. "Would You Like To Go To Staten lsland?"
The only appropriate response to that question.
15. You Know What's A Good Idea? Teaching Your Potentially Insane Girlfriend How To Ride A Motorcycle
Also, it's definitely wise to take your helmet off for that adventure.
16. She's Being Legitimately Delightful Here So, IDK, Is That Just Bad Journalism?
Stick to the plan, girl.
17. OK, Why Is She Wearing Her Jeans Like That?
Is that a part of losing a guy in 10 days, because it seems like it would be effective.
18. Not Sure What This Woman Is Wearing On Her Head
She pulls it off, though.
19. God, I Really Love The Part Where Andie And Benjamin Rap Battle
His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy.
20. Pretty Sure The Special Effects On This High-End Commercial For A Luxury Item Were Done In Kid Pix
Maybe Kid Pix 3x.
21. I'm... Pretty Sure Andie's Last Column Is More-Or-Less Three Paragraphs Reprinted Over And Over Again
Anyway, super glad she put that Masters in Journalism from Columbia to good use.
22. She... Has A Cell Phone That I'm Pretty Sure He Could've Just Called
You saw it earlier, it's the one that's the size of a small country.
Overall, How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days is hardly realistic journalism, but it sure is a lot of fun.
Images: Paramount Pictures (25)