10 Going Out Tops That Aren't Black But Are Still Totally Evening Appropriate — PHOTOS

I'm going to let you in on a little secret: There are more colors that exist than black. Don't get me wrong — I'm the most guilty of this, as I wear black head to toe most days — But it's time for me to make a change. And that comes in the form of going out tops that aren't black, because other hues can look equally as sexy and chic, too.

At first, wearing all black was a money saving technique. I could repeat tops, bottoms, dresses, you name it — And people would hardly notice. But I grew to love the color so much that in a few years, practically 98% of my wardrobe was black. And the other 2% come in the form of whites, tans, greys, and other neutrals. As a New Yorker (humor me, here), naturally, you and your wardrobe have to toughen up simultaneously. Sweat stains are a thing. Dirty subways are also a very real thing. The best way to avoid stains? Wearing black.

The quote "I'll stop wearing black when they invent a darker color" became a mantra for me, and it began to feel like if I wasn't wearing black, I wasn't dressed up or polished enough. After all, according to Complex, wearing black makes you "appear more attractive, intelligent, and confident."

But as I begin to look in my closet, I've come to realize that instead of taking some fashion risks, I've been wearing the same thing over and over again. This especially applies for my going out wardrobe, which pretty much consists of the same black dress in short, medium, and long lengths. Yikes. Time to start re-evaluating! So I'm going to challenge myself by finding some super sexy going out tops that aren't black.

1. Fiery Red

Reformation Cobra Top, $98, thereformation.com

The delicate straps and open back on this make it the sexiest top out there.

2. The White Tank

Nasty Gal Get Connected Lace-Up Tank Top, $32, nastygal.com

With a Western style belt and distressed denim, this top is definitely going out worthy.

3. Blush Pink

Wilfred Marquis Camisole, $95, us.aritzia.com

I love a slip style top, and this blush pink color is the perfect mix of elegant and sexy.

4. The Maxi

ASOS CURVE Maxi T-Shirt With Split Front In Baby Rib Jersey, $42.36, asos.com

With a pair of leather leggings and a black bootie, this is the perfect relaxed night out top.

5. The Bardot

Topshop Structured Bardot Top, $60, us.topshop.com

I'm actually obsessed with this ultra bright top.

6. Open Lace

Forever21 Plus Size Crochet Top, $15.90, forever21.com

With a little black bralette underneath, this crochet top adds just the right amount of sexiness.

7. Cropped Cutie

Zara Ruffle Top, $29.90, zara.com

The delicate neckline on this top is so flattering.

8. The Lace Up

Missguided Plus Size Lace Up Bodysuit Rust, $37.40, missguidedus.com

Talk about cleavage!

9. Sunshine

Wilfred Rians Blouse, $75, aritzia.com

Love this white trouser and bright top combo.

10. Criss Cross

Silence + Noise Surplice Tank Top, $49, urbanoutfitters.com

How soft does this shirt look? Talk about comfort.

This spring: I challenge you. Rather than going for your usual black going out top, try something that totally pops.