If you haven’t yet heard, I have some truly sad news to relay. It appears that Miss Cleo, of commercial psychic fame, has died at the age of 53. According to TMZ, per the psychic's rep, she tragically passed away due to colon cancer that had spread to her liver and lungs. Miss Cleo's loss will undoubtedly be felt by all who had ever bore witness to her attention-getting commercials, but especially to those of us who grew up with her on our screens.
I distinctly remember as a young child begging my mother to let me call up Miss Cleo. Not because at the age of 6 or 7 I had any real wonder over what my future held, but because Miss Cleo was so convincing. She drew you in, made you feel like you knew her, and that she really could solve all of the problems that may plague a first grader. Of course, my mother didn’t let me call, due to running up the phone bill and all that, but that never stopped me from listening in to Miss Cleo dish out advice on the regular.
To honor Miss Cleo, here are 7 commercials that '90s kids will always remember her by:
1. When She Revealed The Paternity Of Someone's Baby
Maury had nothing on her.
2. When She Gave Some Harsh Yet Helpful Relationship Advice
But, it seemed like the caller honestly really needed it.
3. When She Kept It Real With Life Advice, Too
Miss Cleo was endearing and open, but she wasn't one to sugarcoat things. Like, ever.
4. When She Had No Time For A Woman's Cheating Husband
I cheered re-watching this.
5. When She Described A Man's "Nice Tuckus"
I bet more than just that caller was wondering how to get in touch with this man afterwards.
6. When She Told Someone That "Too Many People Were Up In His Business"
And, he seemed to know exactly what she was talking about.
7. When She Was Adamant To Continue To Do What She "Believed In"
Which could have been summed up by the phrased, "Bye, haters."
Image: My Oldv VHS Tapes 1987 - 2003/YouTube