If there's one thing Disney knows well, it's how to put together a solid musical. The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, and of course Frozen all feature outstanding original songs that could go toe-to-toe with the best of Broadway. But not all of Disney's musicals are so well-known. One is the oft-forgotten 1977 live action/animation hybrid Pete's Dragon, which actually earned an Oscar nomination for one of its original songs. Now, with the film getting a remake, fans are wondering about the new Pete's Dragon soundtrack.
Unlike the original film, the reboot of Pete's Dragon is not a musical. The movie has more of an adventure feel, and the characters don't sing like they do in the original film. However, that doesn't mean there's no soundtrack. The movie actually has a massive official soundtrack, consisting of a whopping 28 tracks, and it will be hitting store shelves on August 12. Most of the songs, 20 to be exact, are from the film's score, composed by Daniel Hart. But there are a few songs by a mix of popular current and retro artists as well, including a cover of the original film's Oscar nominee "Candle on the Water." Here's the full track list:
- “The Dragon Song” by Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy
- “Something Wild” by Lindsey Stirling featuring Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness
- “Nobody Knows” by The Lumineers
- “Something On Your Mind” by St. Vincent
- “So Long, Marianne” by Leonard Cohen
- “Gina Anne” by Bosque Brown
- “An Adventure” by Daniel Hart
- “Are You Gonna Eat Me?” by Daniel Hart
- “Brown Bunny” by Daniel Hart
- “Reverie” by Daniel Hart
- “Tree Fort” by Daniel Hart
- “North Star” by Daniel Hart
- “Bedtime Compass” by Daniel Hart
- “Timber” by Daniel Hart
- “Breathe” by Daniel Hart
- “Gavin Knows What He’s Doing” by Daniel Hart
- “You Are Not Alone” by Daniel Hart
- “Elliot Gets Lost” by Daniel Hart
- “Takedown” by Daniel Hart
- “It’ll Be Just Like It Used To Be” by Daniel Hart
- “Follow That Dragon” by Daniel Hart
- “Elliot at the Bridge” by Daniel Hart
- “Abyss” by Daniel Hart
- “Go North” by Daniel Hart
- “Saying Goodbye” by Daniel Hart
- “The Bravest Boy I’ve Ever Met” by Daniel Hart
- “The Dragon Song Revisited” by Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy
- “Candle On the Water” by Okkervil River
With such a huge selection, you're probably wondering what these songs sound like, so here is a sampling of the Pete's Dragon soundtrack.
"Something Wild" — Lindsey Stirling (Feat. Andrew McMahon In The Wilderness)
The lead single for the film, this track was written specifically for the movie.
"So Long, Marianne" — Leonard Cohen
A classic song by a classic artist.
"Gina Anne" — Bosque Brown
This track originally appeared on the Texas indie artist's debut album from 2005, Bosque Brown Plays Mara Lee Miller.
Selections From The Score — Daniel Hart
A good sampling of the music that fuels the highs and lows of the film, this marks the first time Hart has composed the score for a feature film.
"Candle On The Water" — Helen Reddy
The cover version that appears on the soundtrack hasn't been released yet, but here's the Oscar-nominated original from the 1977 film.
Even though the new Pete's Dragon isn't a musical like the original, it still sounds like music will be a big part of what makes the film special.
Images: Walt Disney Pictures