Labor Day weekend is something we all look forward to, but I have to wonder how many of us actually know exactly why it is we're getting the day off and what these 12 remarkable Labor Day quotes are actually celebrating. As the Department of Labor defines it: "Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country." As for these quotes? Well, they focus on just that.
Hard work doesn't only build character, it can also build a country. While most of us are quick to complain about extensive labor, this country would be nothing like what it is today without it. Considering that America consists of 3.8 million square miles, this country has a lot of turf that has been developed and come to thrive over the past two centuries. At the root of everything, we would have gotten nowhere without decades and decades of labor, both physical and mental. This Labor Day, take a moment to think about all of the blood, sweat, tears, and toil that have gone into making this country great.
1. "God sells us all things at the price of labor." — Leonardo da Vinci
2. "Without labor nothing prospers." — Sophocles
3. "Every job from the heart is, ultimately, of equal value. The nurse injects the syringe; the writer slides the pen; the farmer plows the dirt; the comedian draws the laughter. Monetary income is the perfect deceiver of a man's true worth." ― Criss Jami
4. "Nobody can think straight who does not work. Idleness warps the mind." — Henry Ford
5. "It is labour indeed that puts the difference on everything." — John Locke
6. "No man needs sympathy because he has to work, because he has a burden to carry. Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." ― Theodore Roosevelt
7. "Nothing is born into this world without labor." ― Rob Liano
8. "But maybe it’s the laboring that gives you shape. Might the most fulfilling times be those spent solo at your tasks, literally immersed or not, when you are able to uncover the smallest surprises and unlikely details of some process or operation that in turn exposes your proclivities and prejudices both?" ― Chang-Rae Lee
9. "Our labour preserves us from three great evils — weariness, vice, and want." ― Voltaire
10. "The Lord had given them the day and the Lord had given them the strength. And the day and the strength had been dedicated to labor, and the labor was its reward. Who was the labor for? What would be its fruits? These were irrelevant and idle questions." ― Leo Tolstoy
11. "Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius
12. "All workers want is a fair shake." — James P. Hoffa
Images: Unsplash/Pexels; Giphy (3)