11 Inspiring 9/11 Quotes That Prove No Tragedy Will Ever Tear America Down
We don't often think of 9/11 as being an inspiring day considering the horrific events that took place throughout the country in 2001, but the way the United States came together following the terrorist attacks of September 11 is something to be inspired by. These 11 inspiring 9/11 quotes will remind us all what it means to be an American.
This year marks the 15th anniversary of 9/11, and it is a day that won't be glazed over, ever. However, despite the damage and devastation that was done on that early September morning, it in no way defeated — or even came close to defeating — this country. The patriotism that erupted following the attacks was something to marvel at, and it still is. Even today, when the anniversary of September 11 occurs, it's a day when you'll see red, white, and blue flags waving all across this beautiful country.
This September 11, once you've mourned the lost and remembered the heroes, take a moment to acknowledge the patriotism that makes this country so great. While the 2,996 people who died in the terrorist attacks of 9/11 can never be replaced or returned to us, know that those who were lost would want you to continue to protect America's freedom.
1. "Even the smallest act of service, the simplest act of kindness, is a way to honor those we lost, a way to reclaim that spirit of unity that followed 9/11." — President Obama
2. "You can be sure that the American spirit will prevail over this tragedy." — Colin Powell
3. "These acts of mass murder were intended to frighten our nation into chaos and retreat. But they have failed. Our country is strong. A great people has been moved to defend a great nation." — President George W. Bush
4. "The attacks of September 11th were intended to break our spirit. Instead we have emerged stronger and more unified. We feel renewed devotion to the principles of political, economic and religious freedom, the rule of law and respect for human life. We are more determined than ever to live our lives in freedom." — Rudolph W. Giuliani
5. "Our enemies have made the mistake that America’s enemies always make. They saw liberty and thought they saw weakness. And now, they see defeat." — George W. Bush
6. "The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth." — Stonewall Jackson
7. "America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand." — Harry S. Truman
8. "Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong." — James Bryce
9. "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." — Ambrose Redmoon
10. "Our flag honors those who have fought to protect it, and is a reminder of the sacrifice of our nation’s founders and heroes. As the ultimate icon of America’s storied history, the Stars and Stripes represents the very best of this nation." — Joe Barton
11. "Americans never quit." — Douglas MacArthur