14 Of The Most Iconic Scary Movie Quotes, From ‘The Shining’ To ‘Scream’
Horror movies are pretty much known for one thing and one thing only: Scaring the bejeezus out of people. But that's not all they're good for. Although not generally though of as being the most prestigious of movie genres, horror films have contributed greatly to the history of cinema. There are many scary movies that are now considered classics, and their impact on our culture is undeniable. Therefore, it's not surprising that there are so many iconic scary movie quotes.
Given that it's October and Halloween is right around the corner, you're likely to hear a few of these quotes bandied about by horror movie lovers. You're also likely to hear a few quotes that don't actually appear in the movies that people think they do. For instance, nowhere on this list will you find "Hello, Clarice," from The Silence of the Lambs, because Hannibal Lecter never says it. Nor will you come across "I am so scared right now," from The Blair Witch Project, because that's never uttered in that movie either — it comes from the parody scene in Scary Movie. But when it comes to actual horror movie lines, you'll discover 14 of the most iconic below.
1. “I See Dead People.” - The Sixth Sense
Remember when M. Night Shyamalan & Haley Joel Osment ruled the world?
2. “Heeere’s Johnny!” - The Shining
I heard this a lot growing up.
3. “You’re Gonna Need A Bigger Boat.” - Jaws
Maybe the most parodied movie line ever.
4. “It’s Alive!” - Frankenstein
I stand corrected, this has to be the most parodied movie line ever.
5. “Do You Like Scary Movies?” - Scream
I still don't get why Drew Barrymore talks to this guy for so long. Hang up immediately!
6. “They’re Here!” - Poltergeist
Creepy kid + ghosts = one terrifying movie.
7. “Do You Want To Play A Game?” - Saw
The answer is no.
8. “A Boy’s Best Friend Is His Mother.” - Psycho
9. “Sometimes Dead Is Better.” - Pet Sematary
A creepy sentiment once you get past the over-the-top Maine accent.
10. “Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid.” - The Fly
Everyone knows this line, but few know its source.
11. “The Power Of Christ Compels You.” - The Exorcist
One of the most intense scenes in the scariest movie ever.
12. “Whatever You Do, Don’t Fall Asleep.” - A Nightmare On Elm Street
Great advice if you're going to watch this movie.
13. “It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin Or Else It Gets The Hose Again.” - The Silence Of The Lambs
Buffalo Bill is far creepier than Hannibal Lecter ever thought of being.
14. “In Space, No One Can Hear You Scream.” - Alien
OK, this one's not actually spoken in the movie, but it's not a misquoted line. This was the tagline for the film, so it is still associated with the movie, and it's quite possibly the most iconic tagline of all-time.
Odds are you've heard all of these quotes before, and maybe even said them, because not only are they the most iconic horror movie quotes of all-time, they're some of the most famous movie quotes, period.
Images: Dimension Films