If the current election hasn't brought you to tears or infuriated you yet, then at the very least, it's probably making you laugh. If the latter is true for you, good news: these 13 funny election day quotes will only add to that humor. Be prepared as you read through them, though, as they hit on touchy subjects, and they aren't afraid to criticize the way the United States government is run.
While I'm all for democracy and giving everyone an equal voice, that doesn't mean the system is absolutely perfect. The electoral college has been a point of debate for decades upon decades, after all. In a way, it's almost responsible to question the system rather than blindly accept it. Also important? The ability to laugh at the system as well as take it seriously and consider its triumphs and downfalls. That's the point of these 13 quotes, for instance: to have a good laugh about the occasional absurdity of US politics. From some of the crazy candidates that have made their way to the center stage this election year to Donald Trump's tweeting, these quotes take a swing at it all.
But in all seriousness, election day will soon be upon us, and this is an important one. Don't forget to vote on Nov. 8!
1. "In my lifetime, we've gone from Eisenhower to George W. Bush. We've gone from John F. Kennedy to Al Gore. If this is evolution, I believe that in 12 years, we'll be voting for plants." — Lewis Black
2. "The irony is that the people we tend to vote for actually look down on voters and voting. That's just idiotic, right? That's like a snake eating its own tail! A wolf in a trap gnawing off its own head to escape!" — Steven Weber
3. "I think voting for the lesser of two evils in game theory always leads to more evil." — Penn Jillette
4. "Of course voting is useful. But then again, I don't put a big glow to it. Voting is about as essential as washing yourself. It's something you're supposed to do. Now, you can't go around bragging, expecting to get props because you voted. That's stupid." — Chuck D
5. "Nobody would say, 'I'm voting for this guy because he's got the stronger chin,' but that, in fact, is partly what happens." — Daniel Kahneman
6. "In America, anyone can become president. That’s the problem." — George Carlin
7. “You may have seen I recently launched a Snapchat account. I love it. I love it. Those messages disappear all by themselves.” — Hillary Clinton
8. This tweeting thing, that's like the worst thing you could give Donald Trump." — Bill O'Reilly
9. "A citizen of America will cross the ocean to fight for democracy, but won’t cross the street to vote in a national election." — Bill Vaughan
10. "The problem with political jokes is they get elected." — Henry Cate
11. "I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them." — Adlai Stevenson
12. "Donald Trump's former campaign manager, Corey Lewandowski, said today that whoever wrote Melania Trump's speech should be fired. 'Fine, I'll pack up my desk,' said Michelle." — Seth Meyers
13. "Ohio Governor John Kasich became the 16th Republican to announce that he is running for president. During his speech he referred to Jesus Christ, which is ironic because so did Americans when they heard another Republican was running for president." — Jimmy Fallon