This Wine Cake Recipe From 'Thug Kitchen' Is A Boozy Sweet Treat
There are two things every party needs to be considered a success: cake, and wine. Lots and lots of wine. Kill two birds with one delicious stone with this wine cake recipe from Thug Kitchen masterminds Michelle Davis and Matt Holloway. The duo that brought you Thug Kitchen : Eat Like You Give a F*ck and Thug Kitchen Party Grub: For Social Motherf*ckers are back with Thug Kitchen 101: Fast As F*ck, the third installment of their plant-based cookbook series, and it's filled with more than 100 fast and easy recipes that prove that cooking healthy meals at home can actually be super satisfying — especially when there is wine involved.
Case in point? This recipe for wine cake, excerpted from Thug Kitchen 101. Even lazy bakers can't argue with this four-step recipe, that can be completed in less than an hour and makes use of the copious bottles of wine you likely have stashed all over your apartment. Beautiful, right? Check out the entire recipe below from Thug Kitchen 101: Fast As F*ck:
There’s rum cake and that’s pretty dope, right? So why not wine? Some people might see a cake and ask why, we see a cake and ask wine.
Cook Time: 50 Minutes
Makes 1 dope-ass cake, so enough for like... 1 cake’s worth of people
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 can (14 ounces) coconut milk
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Sweet Sugar Glaze
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup wine (whatever you used for the cake)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Warm up the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour a standard Bundt pan.
2. Make the cake: In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, coconut milk, wine, and vanilla. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Gently stir the dry mixture into the wet, then mix that shit up until there aren’t any more huge dry spots. Don’t overmix this though, just chill.
3. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick stuck into it comes out clean, 35 to 45 minutes. Let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then stick a plate on top of that motherfucker and flip it over to get it out of the pan and onto the plate to cool.
4. Once the cake has cooled, you can add the glaze. Whisk together the powdered sugar, wine, lemon juice, and vanilla until there aren’t any clumps. Drizzle over the cooled cake and slice that sweet son of a bitch up.
Images and recipe: Michelle Davis and Matt Holloway/ Thug Kitchen