21 Of The Most Heartbreaking Quotes From 'Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life'
I don't know about you, but I was an absolute, complete emotional wreck during Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life. Despite stockpiling the recommended allowance of junk food with which to sufficiently bury my feelings into (as well as an emergency gin and tonic for "Fall"), I still found myself tearing up throughout the viewing. A Year In The Life's most emotional moments weren't necessarily the ones that I was expecting, either. I knew, for instance, that Richard Gilmore's death would have me bawling, but there were so many other moments that I just wasn't prepared for. Since then, all of the most heartbreaking quotes from the Gilmore Girls revival have been swirling relentlessly through my head.
And guys, every single one of these lines completely broke me, worse than a simple drive destroying one of Kirk's Ooober cars on the way to the Gilmore mansion. Sometimes the heartbreak stemmed from a sentimental nostalgia of finally being able to see a long awaited new story from a beloved TV show, and fearing that this may be the final one ever. At other times, that heartbreak came directly from the incredible dialogue, the searing family complexities, and the aching complications of love, friendship, and life. But all of these quotes completely broke my little Stars Hollow-loving heart. Warning: Major spoilers ahead. Make sure you finish all four episodes before reading any further.
1. The Starting Sentiment
Barely one minute into the thing and you were totally already crying, right? Me too. Especially because this tender mother-daughter moment also succinctly expressed exactly how so many of us were feeling towards the show at that precise moment.
2. The First Of Many Tributes To Richard (& The Late, Great Edward Herrmann)
A simple, late-night coffee mug cheers is a heart-wrenching tribute to Richard Gilmore.
3. When Lorelai Said The Wrong Thing At Richard's Wake & Emily Called Her Out For It
I very nearly had to bury my head into my sweater and hide from this fight — it was so brutal.
4. When Emily Didn't Let Lorelai Forgot That Mistake
And damn, you really felt for her. Learn some tact, Lorelai.
5. When Lorelai Told Emily The Story She Wished She Told At Richard's Wake
The pretzel offering and the movie double bill which followed would go a long way in explaining why Lorelai still finds such comfort in junk food and movies.
6. When Emily's Grief Cut Lorelai To The Core
Heartbreaking and utterly savage, but also, completely unfair. Lorelai isn't perfect, but wow, she did not deserve this.
7. When Rory Called Out Her Mom For Trying To Push An Emily-Lorelai Dynamic
A completely fair and valid point, but also utterly tragic.
8. When You Could Hear Lorelai Using A Total Emily Tactic Against Rory
It sounded eerily like one of Emily's speeches to Lorelai whenever she's strived to keep family indiscretions (like a teenage pregnancy) as hidden from the world as possible.
9. When You Just Wanted Emily & Lorelai To Grieve Peacefully
Seriously, their fights could be beyond cruel. But what made that so sad is that they were both likely experiencing the same grief yet kept pushing each other away at a time when they needed each other the most.
10. When Emily Broke Down The Agony Of Her Bereavement Process
Oh, I bawled.
11. When Lorelai Described Receiving The Phone Call About Her Dad's Heart Attack
This speech felt so real that it absolutely had me in pieces.
12. When Rory Realized The Superficiality Of Her Affair With Logan
There are few things as heartrending as loving someone who just does not respect you in the slightest bit. And, boy, did I feel that for Rory in this moment.
13. When Rory Dropped The Mic On Their Relationship
Boom. Nailed it. Also, currently burning my Team Logan T-shirt. What an absolute jerk.
14. When Rory Had A Chance To Tell Dean How Amazing He Was
Because sometimes it takes getting screwed around by a guy like Logan to really make you appreciate a terrific man like Dean. And oh my god, the closure felt so good.
15. When Jess Gave Rory The Sweetest, Simplest Platitude
I absolutely melted. Incidentally, I want to store this Jess quote as an audio file on my phone, so that I can play it to myself whenever I feel like a failure. That's cool, right? Totally not weird.
16. When You Feared The Jess & Rory Thing Might Never Happen But Then There Was This...
Followed by the most heartbreaking gazing-lovingly-through-a-window-at-the-person-you're-desperately-in-love-with moment in the history of everything ever. It made me clutch my chest for fear that my heart was about to explode out of it because he's totally not over it. And neither am I.
17. When Michel Told Lorelai That He Needed His Career To Progress
And it reminded you that A Year in the Life could be the last Gilmore Girls story fans ever get to see.
18. When Sookie & Lorelai Shared A Very Real Friendship Moment
And I think most people can relate to sharing a similar touching and tearful moment with their bestie.
19. When Luke Gave Lorelai That Epic Speech About Their Relationship
Ladies and gentlemen, I urge you all — find a lover like Luke Danes.
20. When Rory Got Emotional About Life, Love, & Stars Hollow On The Bandstand
You knew that this was preparation for having to say goodbye to Gilmore Girls. And dammit, I for one was definitely not ready.
21. When Those Final Four Words Were Finally Revealed
And just when you needed more, the screen faded to black. And it was over.
Does somebody want to start a support group to help deal with all of this? Because I'm still a total emotional mess over it all. Welp.
Images: Netflix (22)