15 of the Most Romantic 'Fault in Our Stars' Quotes We Need to See in the Film
Divergent's Veronica Roth, Twilight's Stephenie Meyer, and The Fault in Our Stars ' John Green encompass a new wave of authors who have the celebrity notoriety of the actors in which their adaptations star. They attend junkets, do on-camera interviews and have a fan following that rivals the likes of traditional celebrities. They also all write for young adults, an audience that is so hungry, enthusiastic and fan-girlish it makes sense their work is devoured and cherished on a different level than other novelists who have had their books transformed to film.
And the latest YA-to-big-screen offering is The Fault in Our Stars , starring Divergent's Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort. And as we see the first-person novel be adapted for a cinematic audience, we'd like to hope some of the book's original quotes will make it into the screenplay. The film doesn't come out until June 6, so while we wait with bated breath to see what makes it into the movie, and what gets cut, here's 15 quotes from the book we need to see in the film.
1. "Oh, I wouldn't mind Hazel Grace. It would be a privilege to my heart broken by you."
2. "My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations."
3. "Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn't trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful."
4. "I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you.”
5. “But I believe in true love, you know? I don't believe that everybody gets to keep their eyes or not get sick or whatever, but everybody should have true love, and it should last at least as long as your life does.”
6. "As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once."
7. “You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world...but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices.”
8. “Some people don't understand the promises they're making when they make them," I said.
"Right, of course. But you keep the promise anyway. That's what love is. Love is keeping the promise anyway.”
9. “You realize that trying to keep your distance from me will not lessen my affection for you. All efforts to save me from you will fail.”
10. “Because you are beautiful. I enjoy looking at beautiful people, and I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence”
11. “Look, let me just say it: He was hot. A nonhot boy stares at you relentlessly and it is, at best, awkward and, at worst, a form of assault. But a hot boy . . . well.”
12. “That's why I like you. Do you realize how rare it is to come across a hot girl who creates a adjectival version of the word pedophile? You are so busy being you that you have no idea how utterly unprecedented you are.”
13. “Augustus Waters," I said, looking up at him, thinking that you cannot kiss anyone in the Anne Frank House, and then thinking that Anne Frank, after all, kissed someone in the Anne Frank House, and that she would probably like nothing more than for her home to have become a place where the young and irreparably broken sink into love.”
14. "You say you're not special because the world doesn't know about you, but that's an insult to me. I know about you."
15. "I will not tell you our love story, because—like all real love stories—it will die with us, as it should."
Image: Temple Hill Entertainment