Thousands Take To the Street To Continue Muslim Brotherhood Protests

At least six are dead and dozens are injured Friday, after thousands of Egyptians took to the street as the Muslim Brotherhood renewed calls for protest against the new military-led government.

Supporters chanted "Say it without fear: El-Sissi must go" and "The coup is terrorism" in response to the July 3 ouster of the former president and Brotherhood member, Mohammed Morsi. State media reports that the deaths were the result of clashes broke between protesters and supporters of the military. The Muslim Brotherhood is claiming that protesters were killed because police opened fire on them.

In recent weeks, the movement has appeared to dwindle as Egypt remains under a state of emergency and police remain authorized to use force and the threat of arrest to subdue protestors. While the protests were smaller than some of the Brotherhood's earlier demonstrations, the crowds also included some who were new to the opposition movement.

According to reports by the Associated Press, some protestors at Friday's rallies were not Brotherhood members, but grieving friends and relatives who want justice for loved ones killed earlier this month in clashes between protestors and Egyptian security.

The Muslim Brotherhood and its supporters have been under siege for more than a week after Egyptian authorities violently cracked down on two protestor settlements in Cairo. The clashes between pro-Morsi supporters and Egyptian security left thousands dead, making it the bloodiest set of confrontations since 2011's Arab Spring.

To further weaken the resolve of the movement, police have actively sought out and arrested Muslim Brotherhood leadership, including arresting the group's spiritual guide and supreme leader on charges of inciting murder. On Thursday, Egyptian authorities arrested Mohammed al-Beltagi, the secretary general of the Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party.

Egyptian security used barbed wire, tanks, and armored cars to blockade roads and police fired canisters of tear gas into crowds during at least two of the gatherings.

As more subdued protests continued throughout the country, Egyptian state news reported that a gunman opened fire on a police station in Cairo, killing a police officer and a civilian, and wounding another person.