Quentin Tarantino has pretty great judgment when it comes to movies and filmmaking, so this is pretty surprising. According to Time, the Django Unchained director just released his list of the 10 Best Movies of 2013 (So Far), and while it mostly holds solid, there is a questionable choice on there — namely the universally panned Lone Ranger, which featured Johnny Depp (kind of offensively) portraying the Lone Ranger's Native American sidekick, Tonto. Of all people, respected and visionary filmmaker Quentin Tarantino liked that movie? What the what?
Here's the full list, for the record.
1. Afternoon Delight (Jill Soloway)
2. Before Midnight (Richard Linklater)
3. Blue Jasmine (Woody Allen)
4. The Conjuring (James Wan)
5. Drinking Buddies (Joe Swanberg)
6. Frances Ha (Noah Baumbach)
7. Gravity (Alfonso Cuarón)
8. Kick Ass 2 (Jeff Wadlow)
9. The Lone Ranger (Gore Verbinski)
10. This Is The End (Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg)
Blue Jasmine and Gravity were obvious picks, of course, and it's great to see that Tarantino recognized the genius of smaller movies like Frances Ha and Drinking Buddies — but The Lone Ranger? Does Tarantino's sign-off mean that he saw something in this film that the rest of us just didn't?
No, impossible, nevermind. This just makes no sense.