10 Best Hillary Clinton Quotes About Love, Because We Can All Learn From Her Dedication And Optimism
The moment we've all been waiting for: Hillary Clinton finally launched her presidential campaign. She's a powerful woman, who has said so many influential things over the years, but, of course, as badass as her ideas on politics and women's rights are, so are Hillary Clinton's ideas on love.
Clinton made her announcement on her website with a video and an important message, which she then tweeted, "Everyday Americans need a champion, and I want to be that champion." She has said scores of things about love over the years — some sweet, some stark, and some particularly sage — but in the end, her actions speak louder than her words. When Clinton discusses love, her thoughts range from philosophical to incredibly romantic, but she always seems to be frank and articulate. She also has the uncanny ability to come off as authentic in any range.
Whether touching upon quiet time, a love that has "persisted for decades," perfection, positivity, optimism or just plain old dedication, Clinton isn't shy about expressing herself. Here are 10 especially lovely notions about love, straight from the horse's mouth.
1. "I think if you can describe it, you may not fully be experiencing it because it is such a personal relationship. I’m very lucky because my husband is my best friend, and he and I have been together for a very long time, longer than most of you have been alive."
2. "You don't walk away if you love someone — you help the person."
3. "You know, I'm not sitting here like some little woman standing by my man, like Tammy Wynette. I'm sitting here because I love him, and I respect him, and I honor what he's been through and what we've been through together. And you know, if that's not enough for people, then heck, don't vote for him."
4. "We know everything there is to know about each other, and we ... love each other."
5. "At the end of the day, you know, love does not happen between two perfect people as much as we would wish."
6. "There is a sense that things, if you keep positive and optimistic about what can be done, do work out."
7. "There are very few people who go through life without needing anyone, without having to make any sacrifice for anyone else. In fact, it's kind of an impoverished life, if that's the attitude."
8. "I work really hard to find those quiet times when the spotlights aren’t on and when you can just be yourself and be with people that you enjoy and love. And those are the best times in life."
9. "When we first met as students, I loved watching him turn the pages of a book. Now his hands are showing signs of age after thousands of handshakes and golf swings and miles of signatures. They are, like their owner, weathered but still expressive, attractive and resilient."
10. "All I know is that no one understands me better and no one can make me laugh the way Bill does. Even after all these years, he is still the most interesting, energizing and fully alive person I have ever met. Bill Clinton and I started a conversation in the spring of 1971, and more than 30 years later we’re still talking."
A few more Hillary quotes to love? Check out her announcement video.