13 George Clooney Quotes So Inspiring, They Should Be On Posters
We all love and adore George Clooney for so many reasons. In the '90s, he was everyone's favorite fictional doctor Doug Ross on ER. Then, in the '00s, he began not only starring in amazing movies, but directing them as well, and throughout his career he has proven to be one of Hollywood's most stalwart humanitarians. More recently, Clooney stole our hearts by pledging his eternal love to the brilliant Amal Clooney, née Alamuddin. He is not just suave and sexy, he is also a man who has aged well. He has learned from his past, and gained wisdom from his experiences, and choices. Even better, he is not shy about passing on his advice.
Being voted Sexiest Man Alive by People twice is the least of Clooney's accomplishments. Clooney's most interesting attribute is the way he so thoughtfully expresses himself. In interviews and on stage, he has always been an eloquent speaker, imparting knowledge and sage advice wherever he goes. The talented 54-year-old is best known for his sly wit and killer acting chops, but over the years he has dropped some seriously inspiring quotes. The kind of quotes that should be printed on posters and hung up in offices, dorm rooms, and perhaps even be gathered into one handy little book.
Let's take a look back on some of the most inspiring Clooney quotes (so far).
1. "Art takes different forms, but it represents something that is basic in all of us — our history." — W Magazine
Clooney sums up why we need art better than any philosopher ever has with this perfectly melancholy, but totally freeing quote.
2. "You never really learn much from hearing yourself speak." — Rolling Stone
So much truth. If you ever want to learn anything in this world, you have to listen to others.
3. "Failures are infinitely more instructive than successes."— NPR
Failing is the worst. No one enjoys it, but Clooney is right — we learn far more about ourselves when we fail than we do when we succeed.
4. "I didn't live my life in the right way for politics. I've f***** too many chicks, and done too many drugs, and that's the truth."— CNN
To echo The Simpsons' Comic Book Guy, "Life well spent!" We should all strive to be this candid in life.
5. "I find that as you get older, you start to simplify things in general."— Today
There is so much fear surrounding growing older, but Clooney is excellent at embracing his age.
6. "I'm kind of comfortable with getting older because it is better than the other option, which is being dead."— Telegraph
See, told you.
7. "It’s a humbling thing when you find someone to love. Even better if you’ve been waiting your whole life."— Golden Globes, 2015
It took Clooney a long time to really, truly fall in love — but when he did, it was beyond adorable. His entire Golden Globe speech to his wife was beautiful, but these lines in particular are flawlessly romantic.
8. "For me, the definition of a patriot is someone who will constantly question government."— Interview
Clooney's definition of patriotism is more accurate than what's in the dictionary.
9. "When you first start out, you are just happy to get a job, any job. And as time moves on, either you move forward or screech to a halt."— Hollywood Reporter
Never stop moving forward. Blunt, but exactly what we all need to hear sometimes.
10. "The loneliest you will get is in the most public of arenas."— Hollywood Reporter
Clooney has lived in the spotlight most of his life, so when he's telling you to value the more intimate moments instead of seeking out the public eye, it is safe to assume he knows what he is talking about.
11. "The simple truth is everyone has an opinion, everyone has the right to voice it, and they should if they want to."— The Advocate
Clooney championing free speech in his own mild-mannered way is just every kind of perfect.
12. "The hardest thing is trying not to correct everything on the Internet."— Esquire
The Internet can drive us crazy, if we let it. Clooney's advice sounds like the sanest way to acknowledge what social media does to all of us, without letting it control us.
13. "When a man hits 40 is when roles just begin to happen. And for women it doesn’t happen. I find that to be a very concerning issue." — EW
Spoken like a smart, sexy man who believes in equality. Oh, Clooney, never stop saying things!
Images: Giphy (13)