Olive Garden's Breadstick Sandwich Isn't Available Until June, So Here's How To Make Your Own While You Wait
When the news broke of Olive Garden's new breadstick sandwich, my only question was how quickly can I get one for myself? As if breadsticks weren't good enough, the Italian food chain famous for its bottomless baskets even made their coveted breadsticks wider and flatter to accommodate all of the gooey cheese and savory marinara sauce that covers either your choice of juicy meatballs or breaded chicken. The description alone is enough to get your mouth watering, and the affordable prices — $6.99 for the meatball sandwich and $7.99 for the chicken Parmesan sandwich— will have you Yelping the Olive Garden closest to your home and office so that you can enjoy all the glorious flavors this sandwich has to offer. Served with a side of French fries, both sandwiches will be included on the lunch menu.
Garlicky, buttery, cheesy, and surely addicting, these breadstick sandwiches won't be available to order until June 1. But of course, I couldn't wait another two weeks to see if this sandwich is as incredible as it sounds, so I set out to find a way to make my own at home. I had to get a little creative — after all, jumbo-sized breadsticks aren't exactly easy to come by, but this Olive Garden knockoff is just as delicious as the real thing, and at any rate, it will hold you over until the real sandwich hits restaurants.
- 4 frozen breadsticks
- 4 slices of deli mozzarella cheese
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 3-4 frozen meatballs
- 2 chicken breast tenderloins
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- Olive oil, for frying
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Let the frozen breadsticks thaw out while you prepare the chicken.
2. In a small bowl, mix together water and egg. Dip each piece of chicken in egg, and then fully coat with breadcrumbs. Fry over medium-high heat for about four to six minutes on each side, until crispy on the outside and cooked all the way through.
3. On a nonstick baking sheet, lay down the breadsticks. Add chicken or meatballs, tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese to two of the breadsticks.
4. Bake for eight to 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly. (Note: The meatballs may take longer to cook — check the package for instructions.)
5. Being careful not to burn yourself, put the plain breadsticks on top of those with the sandwich filling, and press them together so that the cheese helps hold the top breadstick in place. Plate, and enjoy!
If Olive Garden's new sandwiches are anywhere near as good as these DIY versions, then I think I just found my new guilty pleasure. Warm, melty, and utterly delectable, I can't wait to put the real things to the test. In the meantime, you can find me in my kitchen chowing down on these guys.
Images: Sadie Trombetta