If there's one thing we can count on on Pretty Little Liars, it's the strength of the core four's friendship. Through thick and thin (but mostly thick, especially since Pretty Little Liars Season 6 is the darkest season so far), Aria, Spencer, Hanna, and Emily are always there for each other. And, with the amazing writers behind the admittedly convoluted and hair-rippingly agitating storyline, it comes as no surprise that Pretty Little Liarshas best quotes about friendship peppered into the past five seasons. Because how else would we have survived the dollhouse without any truly heart-warming moments?
These girls really are the poster children for the resilience of strong female friendships. The Liars have been literally tortured, torn apart, blackmailed, and arrested multiple times, but they still find their way back to normality and each other through the strength of their relationship. Anyone who's tried to maintain a friendship with someone with whom they've endured traumatizing experiences (or even just the normal, everyday high school drama!) knows how hard it is to keep a friendship strong when outside forces strive to break people up. But the Liars do it constantly, and we could all learn a lot from how they've managed to hold it together in the wake of truly insane circumstances. Here are 9 of the best friendship quotes from Pretty Little Liars past five seasons.
1. "You can't fool friends. That's what makes them friends." —Hanna
This is definitely key in, not only the PLL world, but in girl world, too. You know your friends are really your friends if they know you so well that it's impossible to lie to them. (Not that you'd want to lie in the first place.)
2. "I know you don't want a friend right now, but that doesn't mean your friends don't need you." —Aria
Friends are friends even when you don't think they are or you don't think you need them.
3. "When you love someone, it's worth fighting for. No matter what the odds." —Aria
I'm pretty sure Aria meant this either about Fitz or her parents, but still. It holds true of any strong friendship.
4. "Do not hurt my friends. If you so much as touch one hair on their heads, I will make you very sorry." —Spencer
The scary, high-strung Spencer Hastings way of saying, "I really, really like my friends."
5. "Friends don't let friends sneak into insane asylums alone." —Aria
You know, you'd be surprised how often I say this to my friends IRL.
6. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool my best friend, and you're dead frickin' meat." —Hanna
7. "What's the point of seeing things differently if you can't share it with your friends?" —Hanna
I love this. Your friends are the few people who understand that, just because you see things differently, it doesn't necessarily make you wrong or even different at all. Friends are accepting of all kinds of opinions and they love you for your differences.
8. "Friends share secrets. That's what keeps us close." —Ali
Sure, this might be Ali's twisted way of creating tight friendships, but she definitely has a good point.
9. "If there's someone in your life who makes you happy, then I'm happy for you no matter who they are." —Hanna
Acceptance is the foundation of friendship, and PLL has always been good about making sure that everyone knows it. For more on the Liars' amazing friendship, check out Bustle's Pretty Little Liars podcast below.