It's no question that Janelle Monae has a great sense of style. Her last appearance at the 2015 CFDA Awards alone proved how she is able to slay in any outfit she wears. Whether she's in music videos or on the red carpet, Monae continually challenges gender norms and gives us (especially me) inspiration to push the fashion borders. But obviously, there are no borders with Janelle Monae and I am all for it.
At this Sunday's BET awards, Monae is not only performing, but she's also nominated for Best Female R&B/Pop Artist. And as if that wasn't impressive enough, her last music video "Yoga" was just released and her record label Wondaland is in the works, Monae has definitely been one busy bee in entertainment. Managing a roster of talented, emerging artists while still managing to keep every single outfit on point, Monae is literally one of the hardest working individuals in this industry.
Not only do I admire Monae's work ethic, but I especially admire her fearlessness when it comes to rocking her outfits. I don't think I'll ever forget the time she wore a sort of equestrian/tuxedo attire to the 2013 Grammy awards. I literally could not. To this day, it's one of my favorite looks.
Whatever Monae decides to wear for any occasion, I know I can count on her to bring her own unique taste to each outfit. Mainly, I can always expect to see her keep it super chic, classy, and innovative.
As an ode to celebrate one of the most daring trendsetters out there, and in honor of her BET nomination, here are the 17 times Janelle Monae was a fearless fashion trendsetter:
1. When she first graced us with equestrian-inspired ensemble at the 2009 Grammy Awards:
Absolutely love the black and white.
2. At the 2009 Lollapalooza Festival:
All white? Yaas.
3. When she was Front Row at the Alexander Wang Show for Spring 2010 Fashion Week:
Embroidery game strong.
4. Her appearance at the 2010 Fashion Night Out Celebrated by Ralph Lauren Soho
5. Her performance at the 2010 Women Of The Year Show Honored By Glamour Magazine
Gotta have that one tuxedo. Always.
6. Her red carpet arrival at the 2011 Grammys:
Glitters? Yes, please.
7. She then went velvet on us at the 69th Annual Golden Globe Awards Afterparty:
8. When she rocked a bright red lip at the 2012 amfAR Gala:
9. When she attended the 'Schiaparelli And Prada: Impossible Conversations' Costume Institute Gala:
That neckline though.
10. When she became a fashion superhero at the 2013 Pre-Grammy Gala:
11. When she wore this ensemble at the 2013 Grammy Awards:
My absolute favorite.
12. And again wore all-white at the 2013 BET Awards:
The jeweled turtleneck is EVERYTHING.
13. When she arrived to the 'Charles James: Beyond Fashion' Costume Institute Gala in this:
14. When she celebrated at the GQ Grammy Party in this all-red outfit:
Her hat was definitely next level.
15. Her 2015 Met Gala outfit:
One of the best dressed. Hands down.
16. When she went to the Roc Nation Pre-Grammy Party:
Rockin' polka dots like no other.
17. And last but not least, her 2015 CFDA ensemble:
You keep doing you, Janelle. Seriously.