One of the brightest stars in the galaxy burned out on Tuesday morning: Carrie Fisher has died following a heart attack. A statement from family spokesperson Simon Hall confirmed the news on behalf of Fisher's daughter, reading, "It is with a very deep sadness that Billie Lourd confirms that her beloved mother Carrie Fisher passed away at 8:55 this morning." "Deep sadness" doesn't begin to cover the black hole of grief of any Star Wars fan who grew up idolizing Princess Leia is in right now, and it's only now that we can turn her majesty's impeccable snark game for comfort.
Of course, Fisher herself was wildly prolific in her own right, a brazen and hilarious personality who penned eight books. It just feels fitting, though, to honor her most iconic role and her last released piece of work, The Princess Diarist, which contained her old diary entries while filming A New Hope. Really, Leia and Fisher became almost synonymous over the past four decades, so I don't think it'll be a disservice to her memory to remember the lines that celebrated the princess's feistiness, humor, and tenacity — qualities you could see clearly in both women.
Scroll down for some Princess Leia snark that can hopefully perk you up in this heart-wrenching time.
1. "Governor Tarkin, I Should Have Expected To Find You Holding Vader's Leash. I Recognized Your Foul Stench When I Was Brought On Board."
This is something Leia says in the face of potential execution, proving instantaneously she is fearless and truly doesn't give a f*ck.
2. "Someone Has To Save Our Skins. Into The Garbage Chute, Fly Boy."
Nobody can accuse our girl of not being a quick thinker.
3. "You Came In That Thing? You're Braver Than I Thought."
That's... what she said?
4. "Your Friend Is Quite The Mercenary. I Wonder If He Really Cares About Anything. Or Anybody."
A perfect line to throw out before you walk off in an angry huff.
5. "Aren't You A Little Short For A Stormtrooper? "
How to get rescued, with grace.
6. "Will Somebody Get This Big Walking Carpet Out Of My Way?"
She warms up to Chewie in time, but never forget that first impression.
7. "Some Day, You're Gonna Be Wrong. I Just Hope I'm There To See It. "
It's just frustrating when someone manages to get through life with dashing ease.
8. "You Have Your Moments. Not Many Of Them, But You Do Have Them. "
A great back-handed compliment for someone you hate-lust after.
9. "I'd Just As Soon Kiss A Wookiee."
Another great insult for someone you hate lust after — just make sure there aren't any around to call your bluff.
10. "Why, You Stuck Up, Half-Witted, Scruffy-Looking, Nerf-Herder! "
Maybe this wasn't her most elegant, quick-witted retort, but it got the message across.
11. "Captain, Being Held By You Isn't Quite Enough To Get Me Excited."
Shut it down, shut that whole operation down.
Sigh. Rest in peace, Your Royal Snarkiness. No one can embody such a badass with anywhere near the level of skill that Fisher brought to the role.