When Nasty Gal founder Sophia Amoruso released her first book#Girlboss in 2014, it became a pop culture phenomenon. It was talked about everywhere from women's websites to business magazines, and Amoruso was suddenly a household name. So much so, in fact, that Netflix has just released a new series based on her life, starring Britt Robertson as "Sophia Marlowe." The book on which it is based offers up career advice for young women tinged with a heavy dose Amoruso's take-no-sh*t attitude and a generous dollop of encouragement.
Of course, in 2017, we know that Amoruso stepped down as CEO of her company before it shuttered completely. She has since turned to girlboss a foundation that hopes to help women redefine success in the modern world. And while early reviews of the show have painted the Sophia Marlowe character as one that is as unlikeable as she is ambitious, Amoruso's advice in the book reads as nothing but genuine, her opinions hard-won. So before you start that Netflix binge, check out some of the most inspirational and witty quotes from the book. They'll definitely get you fired up, make you laugh, and start you off with a deep connection to the characters in the series.
1. "No matter where you are in life, you'll save a lot of time by not worrying too much about what other people think about you. The earlier in your life that you can learn that, the easier the rest of it will be."
2. "Abandon anything about your life and habits that might be holding you back. Learn to create your own opportunities. Know that there is no finish line; fortune favors action. Race balls-out toward the extraordinary life that you’ve always dreamed of, or still haven’t had time to dream up. And prepare to have a hell of a lot of fun along the way."
3. "Each time you make a good decision or do something nice or take care of yourself; each time you show up to work and work hard and do your best at everything you can do, you’re planting seeds for a life that you can only hope will grow beyond your wildest dreams. Take care of the little things—even the little things that you hate—and treat them as promises to your own future. Soon you’ll see that fortune favors the bold who get sh*t done."
4. "If you’re frustrated because you’re not getting what you want, stop for a second: Have you actually flat-out asked for it? If you haven’t, stop complaining. You can’t expect the world to read your mind. You have to put it out there, and sometimes putting it out there is as simple as just saying, 'Hey, can I have that?'"
5. "The energy you’ll expend focusing on someone else’s life is better spent working on your own. Just be your own idol."
6. "Money looks better in the bank than on your feet."
7. "While I truly believe that you must have intentions to fulfill your dreams, I also think you have to leave room for the universe to have its way and play around a bit. Don’t get so focused on one particular opportunity that you’re blind to other ones that come up. If you think about one thing, and talk about it all the time, you’re being too obsessive. You might ruin it. If you let yourself meander a bit, then the right things and the right people fall into place."
8. "You create the world, blink by blink. It is entirely yours to discover and yours to create."
9. "I believe that there is a silver lining in everything, and once you begin to see it, you'll need sunglasses to combat the glare."
10. "It’s the age-old concept of like attracts like, or the law of attraction. You get back what you put out, so you might as well think positively, focus on visualizing what you want instead of getting distracted by what you don’t want, and send the universe your good intentions so that it can send them right back."
11. "You don’t get taken seriously by asking someone to take you seriously. You’ve got to show up and own it. If this is a man’s world, who cares? I’m still really glad to be a girl in it."