Kesha's newest album, Rainbow, is a triumphant middle finger to those who've sought to tear her down, as well as a celebration of the woman she is now after weathering an unimaginably tough storm in recent years. What's clear from the get-go is that Rainbow's lyrics will make you regret underestimating her (if you ever did). Not only that, but they will leave you crying for her, cheering her on, and perhaps better understanding how good a place she is in mentally and spiritually right now. Even better, these lyrics aren't just some selfish proclamation of her own healing process: they've got a therapeutic effect she's encouraging us all to take part in.
Rainbow is full of songs that are packed to the gills with lyrics that will make you pump your fist. From the opening track, "Bastards," right on through to songs like "Praying" and "Spaceship," Kesha is declaring her freedom in ways that are truly inspiring to hear. There's no holding back from Kesha here; if you thought she was just interested in being a dance pop queen, think again. All of her songs on Rainbow are taking her in a new direction and the lyrics are indicative of that.
So, while you're busy incorporating various Rainbow tracks into your weekend music rotation, let's take a look at the lyrics that will make you cheer Kesha on even more.
1. "'Cause you brought the flames and you put me through hell / I had to learn how to fight for myself"
From "Praying," these words are ferociously strong.
2. "I got too many people I got left to prove wrong / All those motherf*ckers been too mean for too long / And I'm so sick of crying, yeah"
From the opening track, "Bastards," Kesha isn't holding back about the importance of not letting others dictate who you are.
3. "Life ain’t always fair, but hell is living in resentment / Choose redemption / Your happy ending's up to you"
From "Learn To Let Go," Kesha is putting her pain in the past and choosing a silver lining.
4. "While everyone else is running and screaming / I just love being with you / I guess they don't see all the things that I'm seein' / That make you so uniquely you"
"Godzilla" a cheeky little ditty about Kesha dating Godzilla, but it's really a low-key celebration of loving someone for exactly who they are.
5. "Don't buy me a drink, I make my money / Don't touch my weave, don't call me 'honey'"
Back off, people, Kesha's got herself covered in "Woman."
6. "I been in a lonesome galaxy / But in my dreams, I see them come and rescue me / Look up in the sky and there they’ll be"
Kesha is getting beautifully existential in "Spaceship," where she talks about finally finding her home.
7. "Even the stars and the moon don't shine quite like we do / Dreamers searchin' for the truth"
Kesha's "Hymn" starts on a high night and keeps delivering on the positivity.
8. "Everything I got, I bought it / Boys can’t buy my love, buy my love, yeah / I do what I want, say what you say / I work real hard every day"
You see everything she's got? Yeah, Kesha did that on her own and she's all good doing it by herself — as evidenced in "Woman."
9. "But now I see that colors are everything / Got kaleidoscopes in my hairdo / Got back the stars in my eyes, too / Yeah, now I see the magic inside of me"
"Rainbow" is a happy proclamation about finding the joy in life and yes, living like you're a living embodiment of the rainbow.
10. "I'm proud of who I am / No more monsters, I can breathe again"
Another wise-beyond-her-years line from "Praying."
11. "If we die before we wake, who we are is no mistake / This is just the way we're made / You know what I mean, you on the team"
Kesha is celebrating you, and yes, welcoming you to her team because she loves who you are on "Hymn."
12. "Do whatever makes you happy / And screw everything else if you ask me, hey yeah / 'Cause life is short and we only got one shot"
From "Let 'Em Talk," Kesha's all about living in the moment and paying no mind to the negativity.
13. "Been underestimated my entire life / I know people gonna talk sh*t, and darling, that's fine"
Another perfect line from "Bastards."
It's probably time you start Rainbow from the beginning and give these great lyrics another listen.